NL50 HU. Question about provoking a player

• gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Gold
      Hello fellow HU players.
      I've just started to learn playing HU so I would like to ask a question: are u somehow trying to provoke weak player or reg to do a mistake pre flop to call ur push lighter in the first hands when he doesnt have info about ur play? Default move is to 4bet obv but I decided to try pushing in this spot:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (2 handed)

Hero (SB) ($50.25)
      BB ($50.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K
      Hero bets $1.25, BB raises $4, Hero raises $48.50, BB calls $45.50

Flop: ($100) 7, 10, 7 (2 players)

Turn: ($100) 7 (2 players)

River: ($100) J (2 players)

Total pot: $100

What do you think about this play? I'm wondering should I add this to my repertoire or not :f_biggrin:
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello gonepoker,

I don't really like the 4bet-shove for the reason it basically doesn't give us an opportunity in future to bluff-4bet anymore and either wont let him to continue with a lot weaker hands. He basically just calls with strong hands and mostly folds weak hands.

I'd rather raise to like $12-14 and he might even shove with some crappy hand like some SCs or whatsoever.

Best regards.
    • gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Gold
      Hey, Veriz!

Why it doesn't give us opportunity to bluff 4 bet if we just try to 4bet shove once? This is first time ever I did this move and I didn't mean that I gonna do this every single time, just in the start of the match and not against known opponents (if they aren't that type who could show up with AJ). I've played several HU and my 4bets are called pretty often and I don't really know how to proceed with a hand like AK oop, especially against unknown opponents. This time he called with 88. I don't think he would fold it to 4bet.
      How would u proceed on this flop if ur 4bet would get called? Also if he shows up with worse hand u still think that its better to 4bet?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why it doesn't give us opportunity to bluff 4 bet if we just try to 4bet shove once? This is first time ever I did this move and I didn't mean that I gonna do this every single time, just in the start of the match and not against known opponents (if they aren't that type who could show up with AJ).

Basically if I would be the other opponent, I would like ever put you on a bluff. You ain't shipping it this way with made hands and only a bad player would Call your shove with a lot worse. Of course there is a small possibility him Calling with a hand like AQ which he tries to level himself, although not that big chance.

I've played several HU and my 4bets are called pretty often and I don't really know how to proceed with a hand like AK oop, especially against unknown opponents. This time he called with 88. I don't think he would fold it to 4bet. How would u proceed on this flop if ur 4bet would get called? Also if he shows up with worse hand u still think that its better to 4bet?

More often you will see get called by some broadways rather than some small SCs or so on. Therefore I guess I would still try to CBet the flop smallish, doesn't have to be even very big. 1/2 would work perfectly. As well we would do it with our made hands. He still might be able to fold his broadways and sometimes even some weaker PPs if he is rather tighter player.

Why not to 4bet? I still would do it, even if he is calling loose. Of course there are decent spots I might prefer not to do so and just Call as well, if he really is playing back against a lot and rather do with some strong PPs the 4bet. And as you said yourself that he was a new opponent then there is no way I am not 4betting this and putting my image into play which might even in future pay-off. They aren't that likely to Call light either our 4bets/CBets at early stage.
    • gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Gold
      I would cbet 1/2 as a standard, too. Thanks Veriz.
    • niveaformen
      niveaformen
      Platinum
      4bet shoving is doing if someone 3bets u a lot to prevent him doing that.
      AK is top of ur 4bet range and don't see why u r afraid playing it postflop?
      Pot is already big and there is little room for mistake and u r super happy to call 5bet shove coz u r ahead of his range.

Post AK trouble hands here and very soon u won't have trouble w/ playing it anymore :)