The "What are you studying/doing as a job" topic

• Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Since I'm taking a (long) break from learning for my exam, I might as well start a topic about it.

I'm currently doing my Master in Business management at uni now, after finishing bachelor in political sciences and bachelor in information sciences. Yes, I like student life (especially the "side activities" ;) ).
      Probably going to take one more year to study Master in Applied Economics, and hope that by then I'll have made enough money playing poker I don't need those fancy diploma's anyway :D
  • 32 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Timor83
      I'm currently doing my Master in Business management at uni now, after finishing bachelor in political sciences and bachelor in information sciences. Yes, I like student life (especially the "side activities" ;) ).
      Probably going to take one more year to study Master in Applied Economics, and hope that by then I'll have made enough money playing poker I don't need those fancy diploma's anyway :D
      Well, I'm in this guy's class, so I do the same thing.
      I got three options I'm considering for the next years :
      - Master Applied Economics -> Master International Business Economics
      - Directly go to Master International Business Economics
      - Master Applied Economics -> A year of study in the US (if I could afford it with poker : if I manage to have 25000 $ by 2009, I'll definitely go for that option, even if it means hurting my bankroll :) )
      Bronze
      At the moment 2nd year of chemistry and biotechnology parallel studies at University of Warsaw. Plans?

- bachelor at department of microbiology, faculty of biology and biotechnology, uw, probably end of 2008.

- master at faculty of chemistry uw (don't really know at which laboratory yet), about 2010

Then i have three options: go for master at biotechnology, get some work (pretty ugly, cause in Poland there are no real perspectives for scientists) or apply for grad studies at chemistry and get few more years to decide what to do with my life (plus a phd) ;) .
    • v3rc3tt1
      v3rc3tt1
      Bronze
      bachelor degrees, master degrees :) cool
      Eh I just stopped playing online poker because I"m graduating school and have math exams for applying in university in 3 months. Planning to learn computer science or informatics:) Once I take the exams I"m back at the tables :) Hope i don't forget the poker for 3 months burning my brain with maths :) Looking forward to make the poker a part time job :)
      Cheers ;)
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      At the moment I am studying for business degree with marketing and international business majors.

I am also training for the Olympic Games in swimming (Backstroke). My trials are in 8 and a half weeks time. :)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      poker/poker.

I quited my philosophy/law study, because I can't do it. I found it extremely lame/boring. I did try to find a job, but there is no job where i can make more per our then with poker, plus, the flexible hours, the fact that i like it, and the prospect of fast "promotion" are very good.

As long as it is going well, and I'm reaching my goals (i only have to cash out 1/3-1/4 of my monthly winnings to live a happy live) I'll keep doing this.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      civil engineering degree at the university of auckland. working a summer job at the moment (it's summer here!) at an engineering consultancy. it's ok.

poker is still parttime atm, but i have a similar average hourly rate to my summer job.
    • joe56x
      joe56x
      Global
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Currently working as Product Manager in onethe biggest European company producer of household appliances, finished University in Ljubljana/ Slovenia - Mechanical Engineering in 2000, finished MBA in Frankfurt Germany in 2005. I think i ve finished with studying:)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Watto77
      At the moment I am studying for business degree with marketing and international business majors.

I am also training for the Olympic Games in swimming (Backstroke). My trials are in 8 and a half weeks time. :)
      Hi Watto77!

Why didn't you tell us that you won a silver medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics? Great accomplishment! Keep us up-to-date.

@ topic: I'm working full time for PokerStrategy :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Why didn't you tell us that you won a silver medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics? Great accomplishment! Keep us up-to-date.

wow, then he really must be a shark!! Well done ffs! So vd Hoogenband is pain in the arse for you? Anyway, good luck! Ill cheer for you this summer!

ps: are you Matt or Aaron??
    • mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      Going into my second year of university studying a double major in psychology/japanese in Melbourne. Trying to make poker my part time job while studying because it's so convenient, but i think i've got a little while to go ;)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Wow Watto

I'm 1st bachelor medicin in Belgium
    • Morryoda
      Morryoda
      Bronze
      I'm studying criminal justice at my local college where I live. I'm in my second year and loving it.
    • whipflip15
      whipflip15
      Bronze
      I'm a full time maths student. I start my honors this year. Very enjoyable. Other than that i am unemployed, play too much poker and watch an unbelievable amount of dvds. I enjoy my life.
    • masterxcvt
      masterxcvt
      Bronze
      wow watto what's your real name, where are you from ?
      how cool it is to participate and WIN a medal at the Olympic Games :D
    • Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      Well, I think Im one of the Few here that have a more Physical job

Im a Firefighter

I need my adrenaline rush - Sometime poker isnt enough
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      I normally work in I.T. but I get bored quick and change jobs a lot. Last job was database admin, before that tech support, before that programming, before that more tech support, before that... etc.
      Also I tend to move around a lot, I have lived in 5 different towns in the last 10 years.
      A steady job and structured academia have never been a big part of my life, but I have continuously done a lot of study and practice of programming as I love it.

As me and my partner are both around 40 years old we are thinking of slowing down on the changes a bit, but that hasn't manifested as more than a plan yet.

At the moment I am between jobs. :rolleyes:

Many of you sound like very motivated younger people -- Good Luck! :)
    • prinstripe
      prinstripe
      Bronze
      I'm a AB Political Science graduate but hopefully this June I'll study Law.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Im working in a bank in risk department but still have couple of exams to finish in computer science study (programming) which i left aside for to long.