Stepping it down

• llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Just wondering if it is worthwhile stepping back down to just single tabling in order to improve my play?

Have been finding that I am playing very solidly but have been sitting stagnant on the same bank roll amount not going anywhere.

Also, if anyone is willing to offer a little free coaching... *winkwink*
  • 3 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      I don't see reason to play just one table. Sng's are usually not action heavy so playing e.g. two tables should not be problem. You can still follow what villains are doing and have decent time to think hands even if both tables has action at same time.

That said my advice would be to always play amount of tables that feels good for you. So if you don't feel good to play more than one table then don't. Feeling of not having enough time for actions will very easily affect your game.

But obviously there is benefit in playing multiple tables even purely from game improve percpective. More tables ---> more hands, more situations and more to analyze. So find out what works best for you, but add one more table when it starts to feel like there is time to focus on somethin non-poker related :)
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I agree with ghaleon that you probably do not need to drop down to 1 table, and that you might harm yourself by doing so.

I wonder whether your expectations are unrealistic. What ROI do you feel is good in your games? Multiply this by the number of tournaments you play to see a profit that is good for your volume. To see the variance you can expect, the standard deviation for 9-player SNGs is about 1.5 buy-ins per tournaments. This means after n tournaments, it is typical to be up or down about sqrt(n) x 1.5 buy-ins. For example, if you feel that an ROI of 8% is good in your games, then after 100 tournaments a good player will have a profit of about 0.08 x 100 +- sqrt(100) x 1.5 = 8 +- 15 buy-ins. So, it's common for solid winners to lose over 100 tournaments, although the losses will tend not to be as large as the wins. If you drop down to 1 SNG at a time, how long will it take you to play 100 tournaments?

Of course, your ROI may improve when you play 1 table at a time, and have better reads on each player and remember your table image. However, while I recommend playing fewer tables than you can in order to learn faster, I think it is rarely right to drop down to 1 table. If you are playing 2 tables and are struggling to watch both, then work on being more comfortable playing on 2 tables at once.
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Fair enough. As always, the advice here is excellent.

Part of it was the associated tilt from a week of down swing. Hit a bit of a heater yesterday and recovered almost my entire losses in 10 SNGs (won about 7 of them from memory).

However the lesson I have taken from this though is that I should be spending more of my time studying my hand histories and checking my play. It was something I didn't do previously and it helped with keeping the heater going last night.