[NL2-NL10] NL2 KJs, good spot to bluff river?

• member001
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:heart: , J:heart:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9:diamond: , 8:heart: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.27) Q:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.13, Hero raises to $0.30, MP2 calls $0.17.

River: ($0.87) 4:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.5, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.87

Interested in your thoughts here because this is one of those hands where I'm not sure whether I played well, or played like an idiot and got lucky. (Quite dangerous in the long run to play like an idiot and get lucky because it reinforces the bad behaviour...)

Preflop: I call because KJs is quite playable in position, and villain opens a lot of hands so if I hit TPGK I am probably good.
      Flop: he gives me good odds to call.
      Turn: I've improved slightly to gutshot+FD and try to take the pot with a raise. In hindsight I don't think this was very good play; my raise was not big enough to do the job and in any case I could have simply called given the odds.
      River: I bluff for the following reasons:
      (i) when he checks the river, and given his small bets on previous streets, I suspect he had a weak hand / missed draw
      (ii) his WTS 13% is very low, so he is capable of folding
      (iii) my line (call flop, raise turn, bet river) makes it believable that I have a very strong hand
      Of course, all the advice that I see says "don't try fancy expensive bluffs on the micros" so I'm happy to be told that it's a stupid play even if I got lucky this time!

• 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello member001,

Preflop: Basically Calling against his range is totally fine with such a hand and as well we even do have the position. :)
      Flop: Although why not just to raise it here and take down the pot right here? His bet is pretty weak and indicates to weakness.

As played
      Turn: While his bet turned a bit stronger I might just prefer to Call here with the implied odds. Although raising ain't wrong either.

As played if turn was raised
      River: Seems to be totally fine to bet it while he will fold a lot of pairs actually and of course draws. Plus he seems to be not that showdown bound and rather not such a station.

Best regards.