Hello everyone!

• vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Hey my name's Alex, I've just completed the basic training part of the program and quizzes. I'm glad to be a part of the community, and excited to see what I'm going to learn next. I wanna go pro with poker.
  • 12 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      hey and welcome.

You have much previous experience with poker? its could take a long time and it definately will take a lot of hard work before you turn pro but you know what they say if you want something enough and work hard for it you can do it.

Where you from anyway?
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey alex,

nice to have u with us :) i'm liking the attitude. study, learn, improve, play :D
      a lot of our members share the same goals. its a great community. you can check out some of their stories and share their struggles in the blog section.
      what game do u play?

wendy
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      its could take a long time and it definately will take a lot of hard work before you turn pro but you know what they say if you want something enough and work hard for it you can do it.
      +1 :] and awesome welcoming ExternalUseOnly, glad to see our community has such a great members, thanks!
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      if you want something enough and work hard for it you can do it.
      That's Hollywood movie morality. I want very badly to fly by jumping off a tall building and flapping my arms. Can I work really hard at that and be successful at it?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      if you want something enough and work hard for it you can do it.
      That's Hollywood movie morality. I want very badly to fly by jumping off a tall building and flapping my arms. Can I work really hard at that and be successful at it?
      Pfft i go out of my way to rail you yesterday and this is how im repayed!

Anyway OP if you have been reading through the forums you will have read there is a lot of flaming that goes on round these parts especialy towards new members, dont let that discourage you if you one day want to turn pro and are willing to put in the long long hours work then pokerstrategy is definately the perfect starting platform for you
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Thank you, I have little-no previous experience, and I am aware I am looking at about a year before my skill level becomes considerably formidable.
      I used to play Company of Heroes (RTS game) and the theory behind it is very similar to the theory behind poker, as with any strategy game, and I believe with a firm understanding of the learning curve, I can accelerate the process.

I play poker @FTP at least a couple hours a day, and I read poker strategies/articles, or poker books, at least an hour or two a day as well (right now, theory of poker by Sklansky).

I play no limit hold'em at the $.01/$.02 tables @FTP.

If I wanted to jump off that building and fly, I certainly could. Flapping my arms like wings? Probably not, but the goal is to fly, not to flap my wings, so I could use a parachute, or a hang-glider, etc. Point is, set ONE goal, and worry about getting there, not how you are going to get there.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vanderveen89
      Thank you, I have little-no previous experience, and I am aware I am looking at about a year before my skill level becomes considerably formidable.
      I used to play Company of Heroes (RTS game) and the theory behind it is very similar to the theory behind poker, as with any strategy game, and I believe with a firm understanding of the learning curve, I can accelerate the process.

I play poker @FTP at least a couple hours a day, and I read poker strategies/articles, or poker books, at least an hour or two a day as well (right now, theory of poker by Sklansky).

If I wanted to jump off that building and fly, I certainly could. Flapping my arms like wings? Probably not, but the goal is to fly, not to flap my wings, so I could use a parachute, or a hang-glider, etc. Point is, set ONE goal, and worry about getting there, not how you are going to get there.

+1

Fantastic attitude vanderveen! Welcome to the community and don' be put off your goals by anyone, step by step amigo! :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AKM247

+1

Fantastic attitude vanderveen! Welcome to the community and don' be put off your goals by anyone, step by step amigo! :)

+1 good luck and keep us updated, I have a good feeling about you :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AKM247

+1

+1 Fantastic support AKM247 =)

Good luck vanderveen89, we are all behind ya! ;)
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      just a world class attitude vanderveen!

in poker, out of poker, wherever. that kind of attitude will take you places!

welcome! :f_cool:
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Thanks guys. I put about 2 years of effort into self development and growth, as a full time hobby, all in itself, and now when I apply myself to anything else, I'm much more effective than other people my age (most of the time). Pays off. Plus I can help keep my friends motivated as well!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      wow that great to hear. how did you pursue self development and growth as a hobby for 2 years? that sounds like a really valuable asset as a poker player actually.