Working in London

• kozmi55
      kozmi55
      Silver
      Hi guys!

I'm a 19 years old Hungarian student from Slovakia. If everything goes smoothly, i will pass my final exams at high school tomorrow. After that I'm going to London for 3 months with a friend, who is also 19.

We've alredy reserved our flying ticket (may 28 to London, sept 3 back to Bratislava) and a room in a shared house.

If someone has alredy worked in London, or is working there at the moment, maybe could give us some advice, how to find a job as soon as possible. We don't have high expectations, the minimal wager is enough for us. Our goal is to learn to live independent from parents, and not to earn a fortune. If we finish the 3 months break even, we will be happy.

So if anyone has information about the topic, feel free to comment. Every information is appreciated.
  • 9 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hey i'm a student in london at the moment. Found it pretty hard to get a job in my first year of uni and ended up getting one through a friend. For short term work it might be pretty difficult. Use http://www.gumtree.com/london and find jobs you can search by loads of different things. You'll end up flyering or touting charities unless you're lucky.

I know a friend who got off the boat from columbia and instantly got a job at Pret (a sandwich shop) http://www.pret.com/jobs/Working_at_Pret.htm but might be difficult for just a few months. Think you have to go to victoria station to apply too.

Other than that can't really think of any decent advice. Overall you'll probably find it pretty hard to get a job just for a few months unless you search specifically for seasonal work and don't think there's much of that going in london. Google is your friend.
    • kozmi55
      kozmi55
      Silver
      Thanks for the reply.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      I'd really recommend something like gumtree.com or even something like http://www.gapyearjobs.co.uk/ for seasonal work.

Other than that, go to local temping firms and ask what they have available!

Good luck with London and let us know how you get on!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      imo if you speak average english which it looks like you do get yourself straight to as many pubs/bars/clubs as you can they always seem to be looking for work.

My first job was behind a bar and i loved it great fun and used to double my wages everytime i was working nights with tips.

so that would be a good starting place till you find your feet
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      Try the Job centre website and local newspapers aswell.
    • kozmi55
      kozmi55
      Silver
      I think my english isn't very bad, its around the average level.

Our first stop will be a bank, because we need to create a current account, if we want to apply for any job. So you can also give us some advices, which bank do you prefer, and why?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      nat west or lloyds

Im with HSBC and get nothing but trouble also have to speak to indians when i ring them nothing wrong with indians in general they just seem to employ ones that dont speak english very well and thats not what i want if im having trouble with bank/money also if i want to just go into my branch and withdraw some money i need a list as long as my arm of documents and ID with me

My gf is with natwest she has no bother at all and if she ever need money out (card broken or over daily limit etc) she just walks in and says can i have x amount of money please and its done in 30 seconds
    • kozmi55
      kozmi55
      Silver
      I hope the Icelandic volcano won't affect the air traffic. :evil:
    • kozmi55
      kozmi55
      Silver
      http://www.realfundraising.org/ <-- Does anybody knows anything about this organisation??

I browsed that website, what MarcPS has linked (gapyearjobs), and I find some job opportunities from them as a street fundreiser in London. I noticed that these doesn't require any experience, so maybe it would be suitable for me.

Whats your opinion about this?