Moving Up $11 SnG non-turbo - Some questions

• DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Hi all,

1) starting hands - assuming 9handed and early stage 10/20 & 15/30 these are my open-raising range from these positions:

UTG= AQs+, JJ+ & limp 22-TT
      UTG+1= AQo+, TT+ & limp 22-99
      MP1= AJs+, TT+ & limp 22-99
      MP2= AJo+, TT+ & limp 22-99
      MP3= AJo+, 99+ & limp 22-88

My question would be in particular with UTG & UTG+1 and if I still should open-raise AQ or tighten up and start to open-raise from MP1?

I ask this because when I play them I play them aggressively and mostly go broke with them. I would not feel irritated/tilted (very important :P ) if I lose with TP-Qkicker vs AK as long as I know they are still profitable from those positions. Because I noticed that this limit is definitely still beatable but they tend to be better/tighter in general.

2) QQ, AK: vs 3bet shove & vs 4bet shove early stage- - default play

At the $5,50 & $3,40 limit I almost always go broke with QQ+ and most of the time with AK too but is this still recommended? Because I noticed that they tend to 3bet less often/tighter and less less random trash hands which wasn't uncommon at the $5,50 & $3,40 limit.

3) QQ vs 4bet shove early stage - default play

I assumed that without solid reads AK is almost always a fold right? but what about QQ?

4) Table Selection

I noticed that most villains who play 3-6+ tables (marginal to solid winners) don't really table select.. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it too.

I use pokerprolabs + pokerstars & HEM color-coding system. Anyway, what's the maximum good to solid regs at one particular table before you decide to wait for another one?

Also there are times I see like one or two solid regs + two to four 3-6tabler with marginal ROI.. Would u still play on that table too or wait for another one? It's not that I'm "afraid" to play against them but I only think about maximizing my ROI which includes table selection

And lastly, what's ur definition on marginal to good to solid winners? Do u agree with mine:
      solid regs: 6+ tablers with ave 8-10%+ ROI or better (depending on the ave limit) & 1k+ examples (2k preferrable)
      good regs: 3-6tablers with ave 5-10% ROI (based from the ave limit shown at pokerprolabs) 500-1k examples
      marginal regs: 3-6tabler with ave 1-5% ROI (based from the ave limit shown at pokerprolabs) 500-1k examples

I think we need to set some "default stats/info" to define who are the marginal to solid players right so our color-coding is quite accurate?

Btw.. maybe someone who has a nice color-coding system purely based on example size, ave limit with ave ROI?

Sorry for "long post" but I really wanted to have some nice advice about it..

Thx in advance..
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      When you have several very different questions, you might want to post them on different threads. That way someone who has useful information about one question but who0 doesn't want to try to answer all of them will be more inclined to post.

1.) AQs is marginal UTG 9-handed. It should be slightly profitable in most games if you play it well. AQo might be marginally profitable, too. However, many people lose with AQo UTG, and dropping it from your range is ok. AQo is more dangerous UTG if you play full ring cash games with 100 BB stacks since the positional disadvantage is more severe, and the level of postflop play tends to be higher.

I'm much more concerned to see that you aren't opening hands like ATo, KQo, QJs etc. from the hijack. These are not marginal. They are clear winners there.

2) You will still see some people stacking off with trash as you move up. It's not that the winning $5.50 players moved up to become losing $11 players. There are casual losing players at all levels.

3) There are times when it's a clear call at all levels, and times when it is a fold. You have to look at your pot odds and the positions of the players.

4) Table selection is valuable, but you can't expect to find tables with only 0-2 regs at all levels. Breakeven regs hurt your ROI significantly, not just the ones with ROIs you envy. Most players with a 10% ROI after 1000 tournaments have lower ROIs and are running well. Rather than maximize your ROI, I suggest aiming for $/hour or $. This means if you normally expect to get $1/tournament, it's ok to play in a game where you get $0.50, but not so that you would lose money.
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Thx again for solid reply..

When you have several very different questions, you might want to post them on different threads.

Ok I'll try to do it next time ;)

I'm much more concerned to see that you aren't opening hands like ATo, KQo, QJs etc. from the hijack. These are not marginal. They are clear winners there.

Yes it's true that I mostly don't open them from Hij and even CO is doubtful in the early stage.. So I guess a leak fixed ;)

There are casual losing players at all levels.

Correct so I guess posting those hands individually is the better way..

Rather than maximize your ROI, I suggest aiming for $/hour or $. This means if you normally expect to get $1/tournament, it's ok to play in a game where you get $0.50, but not so that you would lose money.

Yeah, after the sad "black friday" tournaments takes longer to fill up.. and if you try to table select well it would take me like 2-3x longer than before to get my set going and I'm just talking about 6-8tables.. :O

So I guess it's better to get back to 12-16tabling with a decent ROI instead of 6-8tabling with a higher to solid ROI (although not yet enough examples I definitely have noticed the difference between playing 24tables or 8tables in terms of decision-making :D ) cuz I think my winrate would be higher.. we'll see :P