When Philosophy Isn't Enough

• llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Seeing a lot of blogs here and considering I have already started one on Blogger.com I may as well cross post in order to increase my posterity (small as it may be)!

I am tired and can't be bothered writing a personal description so I am going to reserve this initial post so that I can get around to it in the morning (very late at night currently).

As music videos are the du jour I shall also keep this spot posted with excellent listening tips to the tone deaf... :P

The first such will be the Pendulum remix of Plan B's Stay Too Long

Or maybe Lost Prophets Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja

As a final note, I am really just a beginning player. Feel free to follow me, offer advice, read my gripes and yahoos or just generally chuckle at my mistimed aggression. Updates will be at least twice weekly, more if I feel there are things to add.

Latest update 23/05/11
  • 5 replies
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      This post will be reserved for links to original posts on Blogger:

Poker Update #1
      Poker Update #2 - Moving Up the Levels
      Poker Update #3 - How the Variance Crushes Me
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Poker Update #1 - originally posted 07/05/11

Current bankroll is sitting at ~$100. Considering I started with this much but due to bad play quickly dropped down to $70. Returning to the stating point and breaking even is at least a beginning.

Have been playing mostly single table Sit'n'Goes and have been regularly making large gains through them. However when I stubbornly hold on to a hand beyond all reasonable expectations or continue to bluff when every signal the opponent is giving is that they are strong and not going anywhere continues to be my downfall. Sadly, these singular (but reasonably frequent) moments more than nullify hours of solid gains.

Tried my hand at cash games again tonight - broke even. This was only due to a few of those 'moments' as mentioned above resulting in massive losses when I had absolutely nothing. Will have to focus more in future and try my hand at cash games more often...
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Poker Update #2 - originally posted 11/05/11

Since the last update there have been some significant changes in my game and an improvement in profitability. After being involved in a coaching session on PokerStrategy.com with cheney8888 I learnt a couple of things, mostly advantageous but also one or two that have led to some strife.

The strife was caused by the concept that one should be multi-tabling turbo matches (increased blind speed) in order to increase $/hour. This led to me dropping ~$30 in very quick order and forced a rapid rethink of the situation.

This is where some other advice received led to a wonderfully profitable move. Have been playing the $1 +$0.20 SNGs on Full Tilt but was advised that the $2 + $0.25 games were a lot softer. Took a chance on this change and have since almost completely recouped my losses in a night or two of light play, comparative to how tight the lower limit tables were playing. It is very refreshing to play so few games and watch my bankroll sky rocket.

There were also many other tips and tricks that I picked up from the session that were helpful such as the correct way to view implementation of ICM and Nash equilibrium situations. Will definitely tune in to another session when it is on again next week.

Bankroll currently $96.
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Poker Update #3

Well, been playing a LOT of $2.25 buy-in Sit'n'Goes and been facing my first major down swing. Hurt my bankroll quite a bit and could have busted it if it wasn't for some of the bonuses kicking in and moving down to $1.20 buy-ins for a short period. Considering I have been playing 30+ SNGs daily (low volume to true grinders, I know) this swing has lasted >100 games over approx. 4-5 days.

However, now that the swing has ended and I have taken some time off to study and reflect on hand decisions in matches and work through some of my matches using PokerStove and SNGWiz there has been a massive improvement either through poker god intervention or just some better playing on my part.

Since I was playing around with PokerStrategy.com Elephant and had forgotten my PostGreSQL password I have lost all my previously stored data (near 800 SNGs) but it showed a standard "this guy has good days and bad days" sort of mood. Going to call it quits for tonight because after playing 8 SNGs and focusing I have more than doubled (ROI of 116.7%) my buy-ins and so would like to end on the high note.

• llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Poker Update #4

Been playing a lot of 6 max Turbo SNGs with reasonable success but choosing to play at bad times (when I should be doing family things, for example) or try unsuccessful strategies has lead to my bankroll stagnating with a slightly -ROI turn.

Latest test that failed, attempting standard speed 9max SNGs. Dumped about $10-15 worth of bankroll in an hour due to failed play. I am just too aggressive and dig myself a nice deep hole and jump in too often. Much prefer the active role taken at 6 max tables where the correct play isn't to turtle for the first half hour waiting for AKs or QQ+ to go all in with.

Just a short update for today because I have to finish Feast of Crows (George R.R. Martin) before Dance of Dragons (the next in the series) is released. So yeah, I am a bit of a fantasy junky. Maybe some people who read fantasy would appreciate a simple comparison of a couple of authors.
      George R.R. Martin - like multitabling there are so many things happening that a bad beat on one table is offset by a suck out on another
      Robin Hobbs - like playing a single table where you are always dealt AA and always have them cracked (and not shitting, this is really what her books are like)
      J.R.R Tolkein - like reading a bunch of theory and then postulating some of your own based on game theory and writing a whole bunch... but then dying before ever playing a hand