bankroll managment

• 8 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      not if you win.

Did you mean a single table tournament or multitable tournament (mtt) as you said? generally the variance in MTTs is huuuge and should be playing with at least 100 BI's to be on the safe side STTs i used to play with 50BIs minimum but that didnt help me anyway cos i sucked at them :f_biggrin:
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      So you are using 14% of your bankroll as your overall buy in? I think using a 9bi rule is far too aggresive and depending on the form of poker you are playing you need 50-100 or even more. Why not tell us exactly what game you are playing and what bankroll and we can advise you on the right games you should be playing to ensure you never go broke, keep learning and have money to cash out?
    • stealsthepot
      stealsthepot
      Basic
      thanks for the reply

i beleave ive been paying 4% of my bankroll per tourney..MTT $3 buy in, 90 players..as it stands Aprox ive played 30 of them won 2 and placed in the top 5 about 5-6 times..im going to start counting exactly how many etc..

atm i seem to be going thru a bad patch not placed in the last 8 games..
      I was thinking of moving down a peg, doing the $1 90 players tourneys, however the winnings are not as tempting :s_cool:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      although it is tempting to think about how much you could win you shouldnt really play outside BRM even the really good players can go for a lot longer than 8 games without cashing.

If you can try not to think about the winnings moneywise but about playing the best poker you can and improving your game as much as you can all while sticking to a good BRM to protect you from losing it all. soon enough you will find yourself moving up the stakes
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      90 man games are multi table tournaments, I have friends who play the same games and I know they like a strict 100bi bankroll management, the variance really is huge and although first place is a great ROI it is obviously importance you have the buy in for the game in the first place.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      You can also keep track of your tourney results by storing the hand history locally on your hard drive and downloading an analysis tool such as PT3, HEM or Elephant. (The latter is a good choice because it's totally free of charge to PS members, while the former two cost money to register after a free trial.)
    • stealsthepot
      stealsthepot
      Basic
      Thankyou all! very helpfull!

is it safe to download an analysis tool such as PT3, HEM or Elephant.? does fulltilt allow the use of these?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by stealsthepot
      is it safe to download an analysis tool such as PT3, HEM or Elephant.? does fulltilt allow the use of these?
      Yes, you are allowed to use such softwares to analyze your own play, including the play of any opponents you were at the table with, while you were at the table with them. So, if you play 2,000 hands against one particular opponent, you are allowed to analyze those 2,000 hands.

What you are NOT allowed to do is "data mining," which is when you go online and purchase hand histories of hands you did not participate in. But I'm not sure how you would get caught doing it. :)