[NL2-NL10] NL5 A9s rivered straight, overbet?

• member001
      member001
      Bronze
      First NL5 hand posted for evaluation! Thanks to the help from pokerstrategy.com and especially Veriz and the gang, my $50 is now $150 so I have the BR to start mixing in some NL5. At least until I get my arse busted back down to NL2 where I belong..!

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $2
      Hero:
      $5.87
      CO:
      $2.27

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , 9:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.15, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.15, CO calls $0.15, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.52) 7:diamond: , 6:spade: , 5:diamond: (3 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.52) 4:spade: (3 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.33, CO calls $0.33, MP1 folds.

River: ($1.18) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.79, CO calls $1.79 (All-In).

Final Pot: $4.76

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, nine high (As 9s)
      CO shows (4d 4c)

Hero wins with a straight, nine high (As 9s)

I thought that if I overbet the river he might still call, because it looks like I am spazzing out and trying to steal a split pot. Good idea, or better to make standard 2/3 pot bet size?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Oh, that's great! Good to see that you are doing great! Hopefully we will see you even moving up more the limits. Just keep in mind, don't RUSH! Play accordingly the BRM and everything will go fine. The 1st levels ain't for making money! They are for becoming better and earning a lot more money in higher limits.

About the hand:
      I do like the overbet there actually, but more often I would do it with pure nuts than with somewhat nuts hand. Although if you consider them being rather loose players then why not? Sure, you can ship it directly there and maybe even get called by 2pairs/sets or even lower straights.

Best regards.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Thanks. Yes, I'm taking it easy with the BRM, hopefully 30 BI is ok, especially for FR.

About the hand, obviously the board is an 8-high straight so I hoped almost any hand would call me hoping to split the pot. The only hand that beats me is T9 but I think it's impossible he has that because of his nitty stats 8/6/1 and he would have had to have called turn with a gutshot.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by member001
      Thanks. Yes, I'm taking it easy with the BRM, hopefully 30 BI is ok, especially for FR.

About the hand, obviously the board is an 8-high straight so I hoped almost any hand would call me hoping to split the pot. The only hand that beats me is T9 but I think it's impossible he has that because of his nitty stats 8/6/1 and he would have had to have called turn with a gutshot.
      One day you gonna be playing maybe even higher limits like NL100, there I would advice even nittier BRM, maybe like 40-50BIs. Just to avoid tilting while the losses there are huge if you get a downswing.