Trying out NL5, beginner questions

• YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      alright, so i'm trying to consider trying out cash games because it seems a good way to move up the limits slowly but steadily.

i'm basically an MTT player with more than 4000 micro tournaments played already but i figured i want to start learning and widening the range of games that i play so that i'll have more alternatives. and also, i think by playing cash games, it would improve my MTT play also. what do you think?

i will probably play 6-max. i can play full ring also but with a nit-style play.

i have a $350 bankroll right now, and will start with NL5 and buying in with 100BBs. So i'm gonna have 70 buy-ins for this limit.

Is that ok?

Moving up requirement - 100 buy-ins for the limit.

That means I need to win $650 or 130 buy-ins in NL5 for me to be able to move up to NL10.

So my question is, how long does it normally take to win 130 buy-ins by
      • Playing 6-max? i play a very LAG style. i have won quite a bit dollars in it. will be playing only 4 tables since i will be playing more hands.
      • playing full ring? i can play 10 to 15 tables with a semi-tight aggressive style. but i haven't had much success with it yet. but if ever, how long to achieve to win 130 buy-ins playing with it?

and one basic question, what would be a good standard raise on these limits?
      • on 6-max, is 3 BB fine considering the LAG style?
      • on full ring, 3 BB or 4 BB? the strategy section says that standard should be 4BB but what are your experiences on what is profitable on the long run?
  • 6 replies
    • r4zor
      r4zor
      Bronze
      for 6max i recommend the 25-30 buy ins rule. u should shot aggressively at the micros imo. nitty brm is good at the midstakes. do you have a gameplan w/ your lagstyle? i mean by that you shouldnt bluff a lot at these stakes or have an idea of using image, percieved range and the right spot to bluff and of course.. valuebet, valuebet,valuebet. dont slowroll preflop because they are not understanding to balance the range :D

u should keep aim for the mtts but learning a different game is +EV and the game is very interesting.

standard raisesize is 3bb in any position for 6max. if u are 4 tabling it should be enough. :f_grin:

happy grinding and dont forget to have fun :f_biggrin:
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      alright, lesson learned is never call these guys' 3 bets. they only 3 bet most of the time only with AA, KK, and QQ. even when i'm holding QQ, and encounter a 3 bet after i open raise, always fold! LOL

i was running well but then made mistake when i called these guys 3 bets. i flopped good boards but wasn't enough to beat their monster hands. so i lost 1 buy-in. LOL

so never call to 3 bets! hahahaha
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YinYangS
      alright, lesson learned is never call these guys' 3 bets. they only 3 bet most of the time only with AA, KK, and QQ. even when i'm holding QQ, and encounter a 3 bet after i open raise, always fold! LOL

i was running well but then made mistake when i called these guys 3 bets. i flopped good boards but wasn't enough to beat their monster hands. so i lost 1 buy-in. LOL

have you got elephant or hem? If they have a high 3 bet percentage then your queens would hold up most of the time :P
      Watch out for the limp/reraise preflop at this level its nearly always AA kk :P
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      i have PokerTracker 3, trial version. but my computer lags whenever i open it's HUD so i have to buy a new computer for me to be able to use it. sigh
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YinYangS

Don't worry about that man, that's just bad luck.

You'll find some people 3bet kinda loose @ nl5 SH. Unless I have a real good reason, I'm not folding JJ+ to a 3bet, especially at this limit. I'll at least call for set value knowing I can stack villian if i hit a set, or maybe even if he's only on AK can take the pot down.

Just don't get into the habit of calling 3bets with AK/AQ/AJ or something similar. I'd stick to a TT+ range, or if you want at the start even nittier than that.

But if your villian has stats like 5/5/1 and 1.2% 3bet, maybe a fold would be alright with your ladies ;)

and OH what roo said is right :D the limp raise, fold!
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      I didnt read all answers, so i dont know what others write.

100bi is WAYYYY to much for micros, go 30bi rule, or if dont feel safe, then 50bi is max, overrolled isnt good to be in these limits.

But your question about how long it takes to get 130bi.
      130bi = 13000bb
      i think max what good beginner can make is 5bb/100 (its really max for long run for beginner, good player can make these limits 10bb/100)

You play 4tables SH, 4tables is about 350hands/h.
      Lets say you play 5h per day, so its 1750hands per day.
      Its 1750/100*5= 87,5bb per day.
      13000/87,5= 149days

So, try to play more tables and use aggro brm, its so easy to make money @ micros if you play good solid abc style. Try to accomplish good solid style what you can play a lot of tables, increase your hourly and move up and win lot of money, cash out and order biches... ez game :f_cool:

I made this way and i had very rare loseing days, its because of volume.
      If you play 2000hands per day, you will see lot of days when you lose. Its so easy limit overall, so try to get volume up and move up asap, dont try to pwn everyone, there is no point, try to make money, you can start pwning @ NL50+.

Imo @ micros is FR masstabling FTW.