how do u guys handle downswings?

• dgekson879
      dgekson879
      Basic
      just 3 hours ago i was experiencing a -7 BI at NL10

it tilted the CENSORED out of me!! guess what i did? i went to buy in alot of tournaments trying to recoup back what i loss and of

course i failed.

i heard stories of -30BI and more,how do you guys handle it? i'm just at -7BI cause of major bad bad beats and i'm already going

[edited by thazar]

i can handle 2~3 but 7 was over my limit i guess.. first time it ever happened.

now i'm calmed down again and trying to get back up but just in case it happens again,what should i do?

is -7BI at NL10 FR actually normal? i'm a nit btw
  • 19 replies
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze

here's how i handled it...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:'(

trust me take a break and spend time on learning and analysing...i feel so sick right now...started playing with 5$ and built it to 2k over a couple of months spending so much time...not a great feeling to lose the earnings made after working so hard..
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      I burst my bankroll and w8 for rakeback to restart to play :]
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I've managed -11BI at nl2 full ring this week 4-tabling...twice! Lol.

It's one step in a long walk, forget about it if you're playing well, which incidentally I wasn't in the above. Gl :)
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clawindsouza

here's how i handled it...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:'(

trust me take a break and spend time on learning and analysing...i feel so sick right now...started playing with 5$ and built it to 2k over a couple of months spending so much time...not a great feeling to lose the earnings made after working so hard..
      wgat limit is that? :f_eek:
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Just always concentrate on playing this hand, the one you're in now properly. Everytime. This is all you can do and if you do it right you will make the moneyz in the end. I've just been through a sick swing and am still 16BI below ev but that doesn't mean much, just make sure you're playing well.

This months nl5 sh graph..

• Darkzzz
      Darkzzz
      Black
      currently on a 7.5K downswing, yeah auch :f_mad:
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      One of the most productive things to do when suffering a downswing is to review your hands to make sure your losses can actually be blamed on a downswing rather than bad play on your part. As for me personally, I just snort a few lines and go out on a vandalizing rampage.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      As it happens to me, and for what it appears on the graphs shown, downswings usually *begin* at a couple of bad beats. But then... they just go on for a while when "nothing seems to work".

It's simple: after 1, 2 or 3 bad beats many of us are not playing the A game anymore.

I had a horrible session today; only had AA and KK once each, no action on both. Lost with AK every single time. Etc. But was slowly getting a bit of $ back.

Then I isoraised a fish and flopped a straight on duotone board. Managed to get it in OTF, fish had two pair. Turn, he hits his 4 outer to full house.

Of course, the guy is a fish (playing 65/5 or so) and I feel like #(£*&*% to get my $ back from him - and much more. If I was playing my A game it would probably be +EV to stay on the table and indeed take his money. But I know I'm frustrated so that's why I'm reading the forums now :)

Study tilt, and study how it works on you. Identify when you are starting to tilt (it's subtler than it might seem) and stop playing every time you reach there. Stop, take a break, walk, read the forums, study, watch a video, post the hand, anything that works for you. But playing while frustrated is a receipt for busto.
    • BOBOsvk
      BOBOsvk
      Bronze
      For me a downswing is when EV goes up and you keep losing. When ur ev goes down alongside with the green line it's not a downer. IT'S A FOQIN BAD PLAY
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by BOBOsvk
      For me a downswing is when EV goes up and you keep losing. When ur ev goes down alongside with the green line it's not a downer. IT'S A FOQIN BAD PLAY
      This isn't true.. You go all in against a range and sometimes you run into the top of this range. Sometimes this happens over and over again - a downswing. When this happens the red line will follow your green line. It doesn't mean you've played badly, as long as your decisions have been correct against villains range then it's all good.
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      @ phantom - nl25..
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      I go nuts and play totally crazy until all the tournies finish...Then the computer's shutdown switch becomes my best friend :tongue:
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      how do u guys handle downswings?

A: With upswings
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Everyone handles it in different ways, some dont handle it at all

I think the best way for you would be to set yourself a stop/loss limit you said you can handle losing 2-3 BIs but 7 was too many why not set yourself a limit of if you lose 4/5 BIs stop your session dont play till later that day or the next day even
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      @ phantom - nl25..
      holy fucking christ, that close to 50BI, tho my graph looks quite like yours, but im bad at cash.
      i reckon its rush, but still, you might wanna improve on your game :)
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Never heard of such things as,how is it, down-swing?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      curse at my mom

hit my dog
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      curse at my mom

hit my dog
      Yeah,i hit my dad too.
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      @ phantom - nl25..
      holy fucking christ, that close to 50BI, tho my graph looks quite like yours, but im bad at cash.
      i reckon its rush, but still, you might wanna improve on your game :)

lol i can beat the limit playin my A game...made decent money last month...was totally on tilt this month....just lost it...