Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $7.96
      Hero:
      $5.88

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 5 folds, BB raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.32) K:diamond: , Q:diamond: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $1.85, Hero calls $1.85.

Turn: ($5.02) J:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $5.46 (All-In), Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $5.02

Preflop: villian is passive 42/4/1.6 and 3bet 5% (again, very small sample for the 3bet% though). I call because I have position and do not want to isolate myself against better.

Flop: I feel I have to call here, because what else was I hoping for when I made my plan preflop? But the bet size from such an opponent is sick.

Turn: Pretty sure my TPTK is not good.

What do you think - probably should have been a crying fold on the flop?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Preflop: Against that kind of PFR/3bet I guess I'd basically even consider folding the hand. We can't be even sure that he is going to pay us if we do hit. With some AKs I might consider calling but while it's not then rather fold the hand because it will be hard to overplay him postflop while he rather represents a stronger hand.

As played
      Postflop: Not the best flop, although you hit what you wanted to hit therefore I don't really see how I can fold it. Of course his line does look very strong but now again, why do you even Call preflop? You most likely behind anyways, rather fold it preflop. But that's true that we are likely beat there by either AA or some set.

And what would be your line if a random card would come on turn? As you Called on flop?

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Wow, fold AKo preflop? I must say it does not cross my mind without some sick raise/3bet or even 4bet before me.

Two questions:

- You say fold pre because hero is raising from MP1, therefore with a strong range; so, if villain is 3betting out of position vs. strong his is uber strong? Even though I agree a super-ultra passive player who all the sudden 3bets must have a monster, but do you think a 42/4 understands position so you can do that kind of reasoning?

- Would you do the same on 6max?! Say, UTG raise, same passive player on BB 3bets, would you fold AKo in position?.

Cheers! And thanks OP, nice hand to bring to evaluation.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Wow, fold AKo preflop? I must say it does not cross my mind without some sick raise/3bet or even 4bet before me.

AKo ain't the strongest hand, so why should we continue here? At the best we might be against some JJ/QQ type of hand and against which we pretty much get a flip. Do you really think that he would 3bet us with AJ/AQ? I don't think so.

- You say fold pre because hero is raising from MP1, therefore with a strong range; so, if villain is 3betting out of position vs. strong his is uber strong? Even though I agree a super-ultra passive player who all the sudden 3bets must have a monster, but do you think a 42/4 understands position so you can do that kind of reasoning?

It's FR, we are against very nitty PFR guy. Only good thing here is that we have position on him. And as you said yourself even, that he is super-ultra passive guy. Do you really expect him to pay us off when we really do hit our A or K? I don't think so and at some spots might be even the case for example if we do hit the K he could easily have the AA, are you still going broke? And at the same time he might as well hit a set with KK/AA while we are pretty dead as well. So how do you plan to play it profitable postflop against him by just Calling? For example if you don't hit?

- Would you do the same on 6max?! Say, UTG raise, same passive player on BB 3bets, would you fold AKo in position?.

If with the same stats guy 3bets me then it's almost the same situation as we did our raise from UTG. We have to have a plan for postflop to make the Call profitable. And how do you plan to do that? By just Calling and hoping for a hit you wont play it profitable.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Thanks for your interesting comments luizsilveira and veriz.

And what would be your line if a random card would come on turn? As you Called on flop?

Well I guess I was planning to call it down if I hit my TPTK. But now, thinking what range a PFR 4% guy is going to 3bet out of position, I tend to agree that I am either splitting with another AK or dead here.

(Something I had not really appreciated the significance of before, is that there was a Q on the flop too, so even QQ beats me. So there is no doubt I should have folded the flop.)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by member001
      Thanks for your interesting comments luizsilveira and veriz.

Well I guess I was planning to call it down if I hit my TPTK. But now, thinking what range a PFR 4% guy is going to 3bet out of position, I tend to agree that I am either splitting with another AK or dead here.

(Something I had not really appreciated the significance of before, is that there was a Q on the flop too, so even QQ beats me. So there is no doubt I should have folded the flop.)
      And therefore we come to conclusion it's pretty hard to continue against him postflop and that's why I usually would even consider folding against such a nitty PFR. :)