[NL2-NL10] NL5 AK small bet/fold on the River

• inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Villian is a reg 15/10/1.8 over 70 hands.
      The donk bet on the turn was suspicious, I couldn't think of a hand he had I could possibly beat given his tight range. So I decided I will bet/fold river, assuming that any hands I could beat would call it and any hands that had me beat (two pair, the AT straight, set of jacks) would raise.
      I did as I decided.
      Whaddya think?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $2.59
      CO:
      $4.93
      BU:
      $4.64
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $5.60
      UTG2:
      $5.91
      MP1:
      $4.53
      MP2:
      $5.21

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.20, 5 folds, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 5, K, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BU calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.27) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.05, Hero calls $1.05.

River: ($3.37) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BU raises to $2.99, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.67.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello inlovewithamsterdam,

Rather Bet/Fold the turn yourself than play it this way as you did. Basically he may still have a lot of drawing type of hands and even weaker pairs.

And of course river is a fold, we can't really do much there as you went for such a line, although which I don't really like. What do you try to accomplish with your Check/Call on turn and then betting the river? Why didn't you bet rather the turn where even draws might pay you?

Best regards.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Yeah I guess I should've bet/fold the turn, I can see AJ, JT, QT, TT and Flush Draws calling there.

I conti'd the flop, not check/called.

He played it weirdly anyway. Even if we assume he had something like AJ, JT, QT, TT or a flush draw, what is that raise on the river about?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I conti'd the flop, not check/called.

Ups, I mean turn. :D

He played it weirdly anyway. Even if we assume he had something like AJ, JT, QT, TT or a flush draw, what is that raise on the river about?

We can just assume that he had you beat. :D According to his passiveness I don't think that he is going to raise there with pure bluff. Although sometimes it could be the case that with your bet size you could even induce them to raise with missed draws.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      When I check/called the turn I had pot control in mind (I thought about all those two pair hands that had me beat at that point).

You're right, the small bet on the river might've seemed weak and induced a bluff.

I need to think stuff through a lot more, it seems like hands I put my opponents on are always either super-strong or super-weak, I can never find the balance in the judgements I make.

Thanks a lot!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      When I check/called the turn I had pot control in mind (I thought about all those two pair hands that had me beat at that point).

Basically you can't go for a Check/Call unless you really have some good reason for it like he is somewhat aggressive and might bluff or whatsoever.