[NL2-NL10] What would you do with pocket sixes?

• buzzinace
      buzzinace
      Bronze
      Known players:      
      Hero:
      $5.89
      MP3:
      $11.78

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6:heart: , 6:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 raises to $0.70, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.55) T:diamond: , 9:club: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.55) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, MP3 raises to $7.30, Hero calls $2.94 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($11.93) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.93

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6c)
      MP3 shows (Kh Kc)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6c)

I won this hand but on reviewing it I'm wondering did I play it right. I had a pair of 6's pre flop and called the re-raise from MP3. I was in early position so in reality was not in a strong position at the table to be doing this. Right?

The community cards on the flop didn't help me much but I called the $1. This was an expensive call at these limits for what I had. If I hadn't seen the 6 on the Turn I probably would have folded and been down a big chunk.

What was the right play here?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello buzzinace,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

And hopefully you are playing BSS. :) Because according to your stack it seems that you playing MSS, which one do you play? Guess in wrong forum? There is by the way another section which is called MSS.

Preflop: Basically you can't set-mine perfectly here and should just fold the hand. And raising ain't a mistake likely here, although rather take a look at the MSS chart if you are playing MSS and will get the information what to play and what not. :) Link: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1853/1/

As played
      Postflop: Likely just fold the flop, you can't really Call that profitable anymore. And of course on turn there is not much to do as you hit your set.

Best regards.
    • buzzinace
      buzzinace
      Bronze
      Thanks for the rapid and helpful feedback Veriz. I'm taking that I would need better implied odds in order to set mine?

I thought I was playing BSS, but will need to go back and do some more homework :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by buzzinace
      Thanks for the rapid and helpful feedback Veriz. I'm taking that I would need better implied odds in order to set mine?

I thought I was playing BSS, but will need to go back and do some more homework :)
      Playing BSS means you buy-in for the maximum amount and which at standard tables = 100BB.
    • buzzinace
      buzzinace
      Bronze
      Gotcha. I've been reading the BSS articles but not buying in with the maximum amount. Reading the MSS articles now and I might be more comfortable there as I move up the limits. Thanks again.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by buzzinace
      Gotcha. I've been reading the BSS articles but not buying in with the maximum amount. Reading the MSS articles now and I might be more comfortable there as I move up the limits. Thanks again.
      Good luck whichever you pick. :) And definitely try reading the articles, they are worth it.