can i move up?

• swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Hi. Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not it would be beneficial for me to move up in stakes? I am running way above ev and am not sure if this is an indication that it is not good play that is winning me money? The sample size is reasonably large though which maybe means it will be ok? Here is a picture of my graph, any thoughts would be extremely helpful. Thanks. Swanny36.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • 10 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Um, You didn't give any information as to the current amount in your Bankroll, nor the current limit or game you play.

And though 30k hands is not a bad sample, I wouldn't use that as the determination as to whether you should move up.

Read this post:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/250/1/
      or watch this:
      http://academy.fulltiltpoker.com/lessons/video/52/bankroll-management
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Sorry I should have mentioned. I'm currently playing NL5 and have a roll of around 280 dollars. How important is the yellow line?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      The yellow line is not important =)

What's important is how many buyins you have for the next level, and how you feel yourself. I personally wouldnt move up to a new limit without atleast 30 buyins (so you would need $300 for nl10). Also, if you don't feel comfident in your game at your current stake, it makes no sense to move up either.

In the end only you can decide what to do. But my advice would be not to move up until you have 30 or 35 stacks at nl10, because of your relatively low (but still not bad!) winrate, and that you set a line at when you would move down again so you don't risk going up and then blowing your whole roll because you refuse to move down again =) (for example, move up at 35 stacks for nl10 and move down when you only have 25, and rebuilt at nl5 to 35)

Good luck however it goes
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      You've only won 11BI at your current limit. Most people wouldn't be looking to move up until they've won at least 30BI.

Moving up based on rakeback, bonuses, and other non-poker winnings is only going to get you into stakes where you have no competence and no edge. Learn to win at NL5 first ... while the cost of education is still cheap.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I've asked myself these questions as well, but the answer is deceptively simple; if you rnot sure if it's your good play or not then wait until you are sure. :) Gl.
    • Tulabas
      Tulabas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      You've only won 11BI at your current limit. Most people wouldn't be looking to move up until they've won at least 30BI.
      read post above, he mentioned what roll he has...and those 11 buyins is not the roll, it's his win rate
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      >25BI move up, <20BI move down. Easy.
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for everyones input. I think i'm going to give NL10 a shot as I increased my roll to $320 yesterday after going on a heater. If I lose 3 or 4 buy ins, or don't feel confident, I will move back down again.

Thanks again, Swanny 36.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tulabas
      read post above, he mentioned what roll he has...and those 11 buyins is not the roll, it's his win rate
      I did. It is extremely dumb to move up based on non-winnings. That was the point of my post:

Moving up based on rakeback, bonuses, and other non-poker winnings is only going to get you into stakes where you have no competence and no edge. Learn to win at NL5 first ... while the cost of education is still cheap.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze

YEaaah. I learned this the hard way moving from NL200 heater to NL400. One hour later: byebye 3000$