This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 titan MSS - playing AQ post-flop

• Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I would like an opinion on the hand below:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $13.64
      BB:
      $4.85
      Hero:
      $3.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.101 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:spade: , Q:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.90) 8:club: , 4:club: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.7, SB calls $0.70, BB folds.

Turn: ($2.30) 5:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.30) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.9, Hero ???.

According to the MSS, I should make a cbet on the flop and check on the turn if the turn card does not help my hand.

However:

1. A check on the turn seems weak to me as it invites a bet from the Villain on the river (which I have to fold if it's a blank card). Would a second barrel on the turn be a better play in this situation? and in general?

2. When reviewing this hand I noticed that the Villain has a VP$IP of 32 and a PFR of 28 which makes him a loose aggressive player (admittedly the sample was only about 50 hands big...)

My question is: based on the stats, was the Hero more or less likely to have been ahead by the river?

3. Could someone please give me an example of how I would go about putting the villian on a hand range with the information provided?

4. I'm assuming a fold on the river is a correct play?

Thanks for the help!
      :f_cool:
  • 4 replies
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      That's not a flop you want to cbet on, never. Being against two opponents makes it even worse.
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Thanks for the repl BadeaCelRau.

I actually realised I had misplayed the flop when I reread the MSS notes (after I had posted the hand) :(

A check fold with overcards on a drawy flop against two players should've been my play here.

However, I would still like some sort of answer to the 4 questions asked please.

Thanks!!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello pygmalion,

I agree that according to the SHC, one has to check/fold on this flop

Answers on your questions:
      ON your first question, I would still like to chck because it is unlikely for me villain is check/calling the Flop to check/fold the Turn. his range has hit something on the Flop and isn't folding

You are misinterpreting stats in your second question because VPIP/PFR only has relevance preflop. His range changes on the flop+turn+river and I would say if he bets, he always has a pair+

This is a hard methodology but basically he has at worst 2 overs with 1. Then he has pair+draw, toppair, overpair, 2pair, set, straights so mostly your equity against that is quite horrible

4. Yes I would fold on the river as I explained earlier :)

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback Gerv! :D