Stack
      UTG1:
      $5.26
      UTG2:
      $4.73
      Hero:
      $9.39

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:spade: , Q:heart:
      UTG1 raises to $0.20, UTG2 calls $0.20, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 5 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.67

Is this fine? I am very slowly trying to add such plays to my repertoire. Here I think it's a good spot to squeeze because the first opener has a fairly wide range PFR=19% (although maybe I should have considered his UTG opening range will be stronger), the caller looks like a setmining nit who will fold when given the wrong pot odds, and I am in position with a couple of blockers.

Sorry if this is a simple / uninteresting question! Hopefully the answer is just "yes it's fine". But it would be good to check I am thinking the right way about these things.

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Just to say, i'm really interested in seeing veriz's response, because i'm trying to implement this type of play to my game too!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

First of all I'd like to mention, that all the questions are welcome and I don't take anything as a simple question. Feel free to post anything you want. Rather those are not clever enough who don't post hands and don't ask questions. And as my teacher said once, there is no stupid question, there are just stupid students who don't ask questions. :D

Basically your thought is fine to squeeze there and in SH I would prefer to do it more often. Although in FR it's much more complicated while the UTG will often have a very wide range. It's very likely that we are making the UTG2 to fold but now comes the problem with UTG1.

UTG1 according to his stats seems to be pretty loose, he is going to showdown a lot and therefore I expect to have less fold equity here and even when his range is pretty strong from UTG, I'd basically rather prefer folding. Of course we can turn our hand into bluff but that's basically it, we can't do here a 3bet for value that often.

And of course the main problem is that when UTG1 Calls then will likely UTG2 Call as well and we will be in multiway pot.

And for add-on, usually if I do squeeze in those spots I'd rather do it a bit bigger like 4x UTG1 raise + 1 per call. Therefore I'd do it $1. Bigger raises just avoid them Calling light and as well has more fold equity. :)

Hopefully it makes sense but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Best regards.