Alex Alex Bo Balex's Progress Blog

• vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Bienvenue! And Welcome! To Alex's poker blog! Watch a n00b learn to call that raise next time he gets ATo pre-flop, then learn it was a mistake to learn that habit after 3 months of doing it!

I have had three or four days of jampacked poker gameplay so far, but I won't post details about it, I'll just get this up to speed here, and post after I finish playing tonight.

First of all... My poker grind. I aim to play at least 2 hours a day, and read articles/books about poker for 1 hour a day. This is a very strict grind, and I may go over when I please, and go under only on the condition that I'm being kidnapped by a tall skinny man in an overcoat driving a big white van.

There are no excuses.

Now... I started @FTP on the $.01/$.02 no-limit holdem tables, and will be continuing back there today.
      Username: PlayBetterPoker
      I started with the $50 starting bonus from the site here, and I have gone to:
      Day 1 = $52
      Day 2 = $54
      Day 3 = $60 then down to $46
      Day 4 = $36
      So something went wrong there, I got highly aggressive, unjustly, and kept playing looser and looser. After dropping to $33 or something, I started to tighten up my play and got up to $36. I'll be taking another crack at it tonight.
  • 17 replies
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I'll start by taking notes as I play, and bringing the best of it to the blog.
      Playing 5 tables at once. Listening to Michael Jackson's Top 40 greatest hits on shuffle repeat.

Starting at $36

FOUR TIMES IN A ROW! (different tables ofc) Draw an AK to get nothing better than a J on the flop and no flush draws.... FOUR AK. As soon as I sign on too! Crazy annoying... I lost a dollar right there, just on raises that didn't go anywhere.

Cleaned a guy out who went all in with 2s.... to my Ts... On a flop with no 2 in it. Fun Fun Fun Fun, gotta get down on friiiday!... er... Monday!
      AK came back! Reraised all in pre flop, cleaned out a guy calling on pair of 9s.
      Went on a pair of 8s on some very large bets/calls and lost a dollar or so after folding, convinced I had nothing once the river came and there were two cards up on me on the turn/river... I justified going that far because I had the raise pre flop, bluffed on middle pair post flop, we both checked on the turn and I folded to his bet on the river.

Cleaned another out with AK to his JJ drawing an A on the fourth street after all in pre flop
      Cleaned another guy out with AK to his KK He raised so I went all in preflop, and an Ace came down on the flop, and no kings afterwards.

$39 after 1 hour.
      Whenever I get a good hand like AK on the big blind, everybody folds before it even gets to me :(

Very slow... Half an hour with no good hands.

Cleaned out a pair of 9s with a pair of Qs, after going all in pre flop.
      Down to 4 tables for the last half hour. I didn't wanna go back to a couple of the available tables, cause I was dominating and no one would call my bets.

At the end of 2 hours, I finished with $40.60. about $2-$2.25/hour, just like I normally do. Good run of gameplay! :D
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Signed on for another hour and a half. A few good hands, got beat on a play I should have folded (and learned my lesson), but everything else went without mistakes, and fairly positive results.
      end result, $42.25, up another 2 dollars :D
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Salut Alex et bonne chance a toi! =)
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Merci, mon ami
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Start, $42.25 @ 10:30PM.
      Got 30 cents on a cool call, with pair of jacks in the hole, middle pair, when the guy called me, and raised on the turn, a bet sized for coaxing me in to call, and I knew it. But I bet 20 cents to the 60 cent that my middle pair would still beat his hand. He had a pair of 8's!!! What a sucker to bet on not even a middle pair... A bad call, given the logistical circumstances, although given how much of a maniac he is, it was a good call.
      Technically I didn't even know that he was a maniac, I haven't started using tracking software yet, and I was running 6 tables at once, and I had just sat down. But HAD I known he was a maniac, it would have been a good call. Which makes it a good call regardless right?

Half an hour has passed, I won a couple all-ins, and I'm at $44.69...

Haha, 5 minutes later, I get 2 K, and slow play them, the guy accross is aggressive so its ok, and the flop comes down, its a straight draw, JQK, but I got trips, so I raise equal the pot, to push him out, but he calls. Turn hits, a T, I check, hoping he doesnt have an ace. He checks, I figure he's got nothing, this pot is mine. River... A...
      I lol as he raises, and I call for a split pot. Obvious outcome, flush was impossible.
      I got cocky and went all in on a middle pair. A big mistake, that brought me down to $43.48. I will have to keep my aggression in check, and watch out for slow players. A lesson learned, but I didn't go on tilt over it.

I soon made back all the money on another table, winning an all in after the flop with trip 9s to a guy who called on high pair, jacks, 10 kicker. $45.68, and feelin good! (11:19pm, less than an hour, and I have turned over $3 and made only one major strategic mistake that I knew better than to do)

I drew AJ suited, raised on the cutoff, and BB reraised from .06 to .20. I folded. Right move? Right?

Twice tonight I called pairs below T in early position and got raised... I gotta stop doing that, I know not to call in early position...
      11:40, I just noticed my play has been a bit too loose today. Strictly returning to tighter play for another 20 minutes to get back into place, and I should be able to naturally play right without thinking about it again.
      Scrapped two tables for new ones for not turning profits in a while.
      Ended early to play video games online with my clan. Will finish the last 45 minutes of play later. Besides, I dropped to $44.67 and stopped turning profit on all the tables.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Started again at 12:40, $44.67 to finish the last 45 minutes of my daily 2 hour grind.
      I played a pair of tens on middle pair more aggressive than I was supposed to, and lost $.30 more than I should have, betting on the turn, even though I had a suspicion he could have a pair of kings (K in community, one in his hand, otherwise, he wouldn't have called on the flop)

BTW, I'm going to make a habit of posting more about my mistakes, whether they win or lose, as a habit to try to improve my game, and make me spot mistakes easier.

Went all in with AK AFTER a flop with no good cards in it. Got beat by a pair of 7s... $44.43.
      Dumb mistake and I yelled at my monitor but realized I should calm down, so I left the table for another one. That made me sad cause I should never have called it. But I've made a dumb call like that, once every day so far, so I need to write it down to discipline myself until I stop.

Just when I started thinking about quitting, cause I was pretty much breaking even, I started getting good hands, and making some money, so I decided to play longer than planned. (still, only a dollar up).

And after very little interesting activity whatsoever, I quit just 10 minutes over. I end with $45.76, a dollar profit, but I still should have made more, because of that REALLY bad mistake I called. Of my 3 major mistakes today that one bugged me the most.
      So I have to watch more for slow plays, and being too aggressive with middle pairs, and continuing the bluff after its been called on the flop.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Started at $43.50 after losing a couple $1.20 SNGs last night. I decided I'll stick to my ring games for now.

Guy reraised my raise on pocket T's. I went all in and lost when the river gave his AK a flush.

I just got slowplayed out of my two pair by a trip queen. Gotta spot those slowplays better :(

I'm at $42, half an hour in, after losing almost 4 dollars. If I get beat out two more times, I'm going to have to take a break.

Won just less than a dollar on a table with a pair of 9's that turned into a full house after a cheap river call.
      The guy didn't have much to pay me out with.

lost just less than a dollar on a call with two pair, pocket tens, community jacks, to a guy with JQ, he even got a full house with a Q on the river. Le sigh... Breaking at $42.07 or something, not bad, controlled losses, but only 2 of the 6 tables actually paid out today. the rest sapped me. I still have an hour left, but I'm going to finish it later, I believe a break is a good idea right now.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Started up again at 12:50 to finish my hour of play, after installing pokerstrategy.com elephant! $42.00

I closed poker elephant because all the big numbers scared me, it made it hard to read, and I already had 6 tables open and wasn’t able to configure it to my liking.

I made a WICKED win, with AA, on one table and KK on the other, both I nailed a guy going all in. $46.36

Went all in against 2 others with QQ pre flop, and I lost to a lucky straight or flush or something.
      I only lost like, 60 cents though, they didn’t have very big stacks to call me with :P Lucky!

All in pre-flop in response to a previous player’s raise, AK to QQ, he gets trips on the flop. Luckily, again, only 60 cents lost. :P

And I finish off the hour, with a cool $48.41! Feeling awesome, that hour made as much money as a mcdonalds employee! See, now we’re getting somewhere :)
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Well, I did it, I made it to my old $50 mark today. Then I went on tilt. Took a break. Tilt again. Break. Tilt again. Back to $34.85... I think I let the success get to my head, and started playing extra bad. I made tons of mistakes. I'm going to have to come up with countermeasures against letting success getting to my head. It's making me over confident in my game and causing me to make poor calls. I end up forgetting I'm still, just a poker n00b.

It was a long day of poker, and at $34 I finally tweaked... I hit some sort of breaking point in being upset about the money, and got past it. I accepted my position. I wish I could react quicker like that. So far though the quality of my gameplay has significantly increased, back to its optimal state. I no longer feel attached to each hand anymore.

I learned that you must master your strategies, but you must not let them, or their results (or w/e) master you. I have underestimated the finer points of poker yet agian.

Poker is a scary sport and deserves respect.

Now $22.... Poker needs MORE respect apparently. And I need to be less aggressive post flop
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I'm back! My career, up to date is at 888poker now, and my bankroll sits at 73.63 at the moment.

Tonight's summary:
      I was having a good night, started with 78, spent $3.50 on tourney entries, and got myself up to $80 on top of that. It was my first night working the big stack strategy.

But then all in 3 minutes I dropped to $73.... I got donked twice, and got slow played by someone with the same ace pair as me, but a kicker of K when mine was a Q... :(

one of those tourneys was even refunded because it got cancelled :(

It was a high note, followed by sadness. After the third run of bad luck, I decided to call it quits, I have three pens on my table that I use as tokens for when I get donked, or lose a big pot. I moved all of them aside and closed my tables. *sigh*

But the one tourney is still on, and the other hasn't started quite yet. I will play those and go to bed, and hope for the best until then. Even though I haven't gotten one good hand all tourney long, it looks like a write off tourney.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Nice blog keep it up! Post some graphs or pictures!
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I can't cause I dint have any poker tracking software that works with 888Poker. One of these days I'm gonna pull al my money out of there and move to another site, but not quite yet.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze

So this has been my progress so far (specifically at PokerStars, so only including progress over the last couple weeks, after leaving 888).

I peaked at just over 100$ (yay I made a milestone!). But the same day I got news of being out of work for a week cause of weather, and I suffered a 3 day downswing. It was a really frustrating and depressing time. I got over it, and started grinding again, and find myself progressing back at my regular pace thankfully. It's a relief to know that I still got the touch :P I'm excited to get to 100$ again and move up to the next stakes level!! (.02/.05, with 2$ buy ins)

Also, an interesting real life effect this is having on me. I'm noticing when I talk about this, a lot of people give me flak about gambling. My friends joke that I'm now a problem gambler, and that I'm gonna lose ALL my money one day. I find this really annoying and insulting to the system, but even if I try to explain to them, that it would take a month straight of losses and full retardation on my side in order to lose everything, and that I have hardly invested any of my own money, they still don't care. They don't even listen!

Does anyone else experience this? It's minor and it's not like my friends are treating me different, just annoying. Like being made fun of for being short in school or something.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Super success today! About 12$ won in about 3 hours. Moving up to the next stakes after lunch :D So stoked! This is another milestone. I'm so going pro.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I'm really struggling to push past $100 now... it seems as soon as I get a little over, I get super donked left right and centre, or just hit a downswing that brings me down a bit. I had my AK donked twice today, and my AA donked by J5o hitting a two pair. So frustrating... Especially since my AA only get's called, like once every 3 days...
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Regarding the problem with your friends. I have this problem, as do a lot of people. The general public don't understand poker and are too ignorant to listen. My friends are the same, no matter what you tell them they just think you're gambling your money away. I've learned to just not talk about it with them.
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Regarding the problem with your friends. I have this problem, as do a lot of people. The general public don't understand poker and are too ignorant to listen. My friends are the same, no matter what you tell them they just think you're gambling your money away. I've learned to just not talk about it with them.
      Thanks. I'm used to having things like this, where my friends just don't understand. I'll live.