Lets start at freerolls!

• iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hey everyone
      I've been playing poker since I was 13 years old and after seeing it on TV and seeing how much money people were winning I was insta-hooked :heart: . :heart: Probably not the best addiction or ambition for a thirteen year old now is it? Anyways my first time I played for real money was shortly after learning the basics, when I took on my uncle HU for 10$. Needless to say I was creamed and that was where a little spark ignited in me to become better at poker. I've always been competitive in school, sports, life in general and how better to test my competitiveness than with poker. I feel this game is the pinnacle of competitiveness as you use cunning and mental tactics to mathematically destroy your foe, oh and you win money. Not bad for a game! I hear a lot about poker players starting to make it big in university and college, and that's where I will be come next September. If any other poker players are based in the great capital of Canada than give a shout out!

Anyways so here I start. I wanted to try something different than what I've seen in threads (Not necessarily saying it hasn't been done) but I plan to start with free rolls to build up my roll. It will be a long and tedious process but I feel there is learning involved with this that you can just attain by depositing 100$ and playing away! I believe with the help of pokerstrategy I will be equipped with all I need to make it!

Thank you all and wish me luck!
  • 26 replies
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      First of all good luck....when i was not of the age to deposit i done what you are doing and built my bankroll upto $180 from scratch so its possible..just be prepared to wait a while. Pokerstars usually have some good random freerolls from time to time which are probably the best way to do it ;)
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      That's good to hear! It gives me more hope =]
      Also I'm doing it on fulltilt because of the facebook fan freerolls!

So first day went okay, I finished 26 out of 2600 or so to get a 1.1T ticket which I used to buy into rush poker OD tourney and finished 3 from paid!!! GRRR
      Second facebook freeroll I got 140th out of 1400 roughly, good for 0.09$

So all counting current BR: 0.09$

Will post another response when I win big! (or try too)
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      gl

if u can afford to deposit tho - do it. u will regret wasting much time and effort grinding from the ground up
    • b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      gl iPerform...i bet ill see u in a half year playing big,and with results ;)
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd

if u can afford to deposit tho - do it. u will regret wasting much time and effort grinding from the ground up
      Yes, depositing would be easier and save me countless hours but I want the feeling of starting from absolutely nothing! I think it would be cool to say "Yeah I started with 0 and now I have a million dollars (Go big or go home right?)"

My first deposit on stars was for 25$ at the age of 16 and I managed to turn that into 370$ (thanks to a 280 fourth place finish in a 6max tourney) but this time its from scratch!
    • mayapnd
      mayapnd
      Bronze
      I'm actually doing quite a similar thing on FT, just that i have 1,50$ already and i'm playing from time to time the 1000$GTD with 0,10$ buy-in, hoping to luckbox my way into cashing enough for me to start playing NL2 FR, which is what i played last time i went from a few dollars to 100+$ before cashing out. But this time i will keep my money on the site and hopefully grind my way up the limits!

GL with your challenge! We'll surely be playing NL5k in no time :f_cool: .
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      GL with it, it's a slow process.
      I started in freerolls with no deposit, grinding away at 10 000 seaters paying top 260, lol. After 4 weeks I luckboxed an freeroll MTT for $1000 and haven't looked back.
      I would say I would have gone broke if I hadn't joined here though. I was even more clueless than I am now.

I'm currently building my 6th BR from scratch because I'm a massochist andI love the challenge it brings. I intend movingup limits this time though.
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hello everyone so as promised here is a little update of my progress and boy did I make some!

After reading Dogma18's post giving advice on free rolls at Stars I decided to check them out myself. While checking them out I noticed I still had 23FPP's I had built up from a previous free roll itm I scored. I decided I might as well put them to good use and entered in the 20FPP $1,000 prize pool. The very second hand I was dealt Aces and shoved after a 3bet, but was cracked on the river by trip nines! At this point I was down to 80 chips and that's when I initiated God mode. From there I ran like hell and was at position 2 for quite sometime until I went card dead and was eliminated but good enough for tree-fiddy ($3.50)

I decided to walk to the corner store to pick up an Arizona ice tea before starting to grind the 3.50 and had a weird urge to buy a scratch lottery ticket. Now I don't like gambling on things where I can not create my own luck but I just had a feeling. Turns out I picked a winning ticket for $500 Canadian so yeah not bad for just my third lottery ticket!

Anyways thrilled with the big payout on the lottery ticket I returned home and played two 1.50 9mans on Stars where I won both of them. At this point my bankrolls was around $14 and I decided to take a one BI shot at NL5. I managed to find myself up 3 buy-ins in under an hour.

So all in all it was a great day poker and life wise!

Pokerstars Bankroll - $31.37
      Full Tilt Bankroll- $0.15

Any ideas now for what I should play? I am a winning player at NL5 6 max at 14BB/100 over a 10k sample (although that's not a large sample size by any means) I also have around a 40% ROI in 6 man 2.20's on Stars but feel I'm strongest in HU play. I'm going to try a more BRM conservative approach though!

BTW thank you Dogma for the suggestion to check out Stars! Couldn't have done it without you :heart: :)
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hellooo again just me!

Quick update: I've been sticking to a BRMish type of style. Grinding only 2 tables of NL5 and playing the 1.50 heads up Currently 5wins and 3losses in that category. So all in all not too bad. Hope to be at around 50$ by Friday but will be hard with prom in just 2 days!!! I'm spending some of the 500 I won on the scratch ticket to help pay for some spiffy shoes as well ;) Haven't played any Fulltilt Freerolls lately as I've been trying to build up the Star's account.

Current Star's BR= $35.18
      Current Full Tilt BR= $0.15

Thanks to everyone who replies and gives advice! It's very much appreciated!! :heart: :heart:
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      0.25 45 mans is the safest option till like $50-60 (easy acheiable in 1-2 days) then play $1s
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hey amplifyd thanks again for the advice!

I decided to play a $0.50 45man turbo and finished 2nd good for $4.35. The competition is ridiculously easy and may play more in the future! I also played some more HU 1.50s since they are really soft and I'm now on a 5 match winning streak (WOOHOO!)

Getting very close to my $50 by the end of the week objective!

Current Stars BR: 42.37 ;)
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hello there PS community!

I am glad to announce that I made my $50 goal already! :f_cool: :f_cool: Tomorrow I will be able to put in quite some volume at NL5 as I only have to go to one period! The schools gives the Grade 12's a day off to get ready for prom and stuff so I'll take it =]

So it took me 3 days to go from 0.00 to (drum roll please...) 50.09! WOO :s_biggrin:

So we stand at;
      Pokerstars: $50.09
      Fulltilt: $0.15

This is going much better than anticipated. I was planning to have to wait at least a week or so to make enough from free rolls to grind out NL2! As always I'd love to hear from you, the reader and gain your advice on where as to play now! Current 1.50HU record is 12-4 so doing pretty good there but would rather here from you guys!

Thanks! :heart:
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Hey community! So tired :s_zZz: :s_zZz:

Tried to come through on my promise to get some volume in. Probably got around 1k hands in today aswell as a few 6max and HU SnGs. Did pretty well in the SnGs with 3 First places and 4 HU wins, but really struggled today in NL5. I got in QQ and KK against AK and lost both times! FUUUU VARIANCE!!! But ya win some ya lose some. Also found myself in a few difficult spots post flop that I lost quite a bit of value on. Thank goodness for the SnGs! I'd like some advice on how many BI's I should have before I move up to the 3.50 6mans and HU SnGs. Anyways playing one last 1.50 6 man before bed. Fingers crossed! And my damn ears are still ringing from prom!!! His name was DJ Seth but I think DJ DEAF is more like it. I can't stand all that rave music for 3 hours! Anyways...

Current Pokerstars Bankroll- $68.72
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Okay so I wanted to post a really funny hand I played in today on NL5. This player was BY FAR the fishiest player I have ever seen. He was calling all in shoves with bottom pair and it was the first time I bought in at 250BB instead of my normal 100BB just because I wanted his whole stack! Needless to say I got it :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1324086
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $12.50
      UTG: $9.84
      CO: $2.48
      BTN: $5.00
      SB: $5.00

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with T :diamond: J :club:
      UTG raises to $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, UTG calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.42) 9 :spade: K :club: 7 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, UTG calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.72) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG raises to $2.05, Hero calls $1.85

River: ($4.82) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $10.10 all in, UTG calls $7.44 all in

Hero shows straight jack high
      UTG shows a pair of aces

Hero wins pot (18.73)

That's the hand! I know I risked quite a bit on the turn call but it payed off =] I knew he would call me no matter what on the river since he bet so high on the turn.
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      I seriously need to stop staying up so late!
      Pretty decent day overall. Today was the opposite of yesterday, I won the majority of my winnings today in cash games instead of SnG's. I just ran terrible today in SnGs. I lost so many times when I was dominating the other person but what can you do :P Tomorrow is another day and I hope I can continue building! $100 before tomorrow? FINGERS CROSSED! It's almost been a week since I started this with no money at all so I'm happy with anything! =]

Current Pokerstars bankroll: $91.58
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      So today I hit the big $100
      Hard to believe it's only been 7 days since I had absolutely nothing.

Current Pokerstars bankroll: $100.15

I think I will start taking shots at the 3.50 HU now. Can anyone give me an idea how much tougher they are than that 1.50's??
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      WOW!!!

Okay so up and down 24 hours HOLY SH!T

After hitting a $100 I ran cold as a snowman on pluto. Lost maybe 5BI's at NL5 than started losing 3.50 HU. Went down to 60 than to 90 than to 70. So back and forth I couldn't keep track! I said screw it I'm good at HU time to play cash and unfortunately smallest stakes at Stars is 0.25/0.50 so yeah I'm not following BRM needless to say. Worked up to about 56$ against this guy than got dealt AJs. Heres how the hand played out.

Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 1327515
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $92.15
      Hero (BTN/SB): $56.55

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN/SB with A :diamond: J :diamond:
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.00) 6 :club: J :heart: A :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $5.50, Hero raises to $14.50, BB raises to $87.15 all in, Hero calls $37.05 all in

Turn: ($113.10) 5 :diamond: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: ($113.10) 3 :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Hero shows: 2 pair aces and jacks
      BB shows: Pair of aces queen kicker

Hero wins: $112.60

Hopefully this has ended my insane tilt trip for now...
      Anyways on a brighter note current pokerstars BR: $141.88
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      dont play HU that high with that roll man! you could be the best in the world and still go broke with that few buyins. good luck!
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Its good to see u build a roll that quick but u WILL definitly lose it playing at those levels...

In fact i challenge u, u say u have $150 now, thats good enough for a solid grind at 0.02/0.05 or $2 sngs (1 table) you've had a great upswing but it wont last, its happened to everyone one and u will go broke as the previous poster said.

If u find low stakes boring, do what i do....grind it out then at the end of the week play the sunday storm for $10 to reward urself, u never know, a big score at that and your loaded :D :D

anyway good to see u doing so well, if you're bored check out the 2-7 single draw tables, im on pokerstars like everyday lol, im a student have too much time!!!