What does ¨though¨ means?

• elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Hi... my name is Guadalupe Guerrero

I´m asking you here a question that I have several months that I don´t have an answer...

I theres is someone who speak spanish and can explain me this in spanish is better for me.

What does ¨though¨ means in this sentece...

This book shows you how to size your bets correctly in many different situations. You´ll never be able to calculate your bets exactly, though, so you´ll have to err in one direction or the other. Try to err onthe big side. This is the best almost regardless of the circumstances.

I think this is another one, i hope this to be well written.
      This is marvelous, though.

:P

Help, please.
  • 24 replies
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      remove the , after exactly and it should be clear though i can't be sure

also it's just poorly written
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Here is another example

Playing short-stacked has acquired a stigma in the no limit community. Short-stack players are "fish" or "weak" or "annoying". That stigma doesn't translate to reality, though.

• ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      kinda like "however"
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      kinda like "however"
      it could be "anyway" too?
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      And... what about this sentence... I might chance though to however?

No matter how you play, or what you like to buy in for, though, you will occasionally play a "preflop all-in and call" pot.

Edit. "buy in"
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      that sentence isn't english
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      that sentence isn't english
      yes, it is.

This is the third paragraph of the page 206 of the book "No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice" from David Sklansky and Ed Miller.

The topic is "Calling preflop All-in Raises"

:facepalm: :P
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      In most cases as far as I know, you may change 'though' to 'however' and the other way around.
      Notice that a lot of the time, 'however', that the word 'though' is not actually required to make a sentence make sense and may be left out.
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      In most cases as far as I know, you may change 'though' to 'however' and the other way around.
      Notice that a lot of the time, 'however', that the word 'though' is not actually required to make a sentence make sense and may be left out.
      mmm.... :rolleyes:

It makes sense now.

thanks... both of you. :P
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You could also put a "but" at the start of the sentence instead.
      In some places it will not be gramatically correct to do so (can't start a sentence with a "but" most of the time) but maybe it helps you understand the sentence better =)

No matter how you play, or what you like to buy in for, though, you will occasionally play a "preflop all-in and call" pot.

-> But no matter how you play, or what you like to buy in for, you will occasionally play a "preflop all-in and call" pot.

That stigma doesn't translate to reality, though.

-> But that stigma doesn't translate to reality.

You´ll never be able to calculate your bets exactly, though, so you´ll have to err in one direction or the other.

-> But you´ll never be able to calculate your bets exactly, so you´ll have to err in one direction or the other.
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Thank you, Fongie...

It helped me very much.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      what does "though" means = what does "though" mean (no s at the end)

Answer;
      though means..... ( I know english is weird sometimes!! )

• elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

Answer;

lol

thanks for the correction. :P

Edit: I won´t remove the ¨s¨ on the name of the post post. Thus your answer have a reason. :D
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      It's like a 'point' highlighter. Meaning, somebody is expressing something with caution.
    • elquimico
      elquimico
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DanMeaks
      It's like a 'point' highlighter. Meaning, somebody is expressing something with caution.
      ok
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

Answer;

In the present tense, the third person singular (he, she, it) you conjugate/change the verb by adding "s" to it:

for example:

1st person: I run; 3rd person: he runs.
      1st person: I win; 3rd person: it wins.

But when there is an auxiliary verb involved (normally "do", "have", "be", but not always!) you conjugate/change the auxiliary verb only, and leave the "main" verb alone.

So in your above sentence above you only need an "s" on the auxiliary ("does") and not the main verb ("mean").

Also, in the example you gave from Ed Miller's book, "though" is used to add extra stress, or warning, to the "you'll never be able to calculate..." part of the sentence.

I hope this helps...
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      I actually don't like replacing it with a "but in most sentences from above. I feel like the "but" is building on from the last sentence.

Michael doesnt talk alot. But when he does, he often has something good to say.

I find it a bit wrong to start a sentence with "but" when we have no idea what the sentence before was about.

That's just my 2 cents though.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      I actually don't like replacing it with a "but in most sentences from above. I feel like the "but" is building on from the last sentence.

I find it a bit wrong to start a sentence with "but" when we have no idea what the sentence before was about.

this, we were always taught at primary school to never start a sentence with "but". It's a word used for connecting sentences, not starting them.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki

Of course. That's why "though" is there. For someone who doesnt understand what the word means, however, I think that explaining it that way is easier to understand than any other. If you don't understand the word "though", chances are you don't understand the word "however" either for example =)

Also, just like you don't use "But" without building on the last sentence, how often do you use "though" without it somehow referring to something you wrote earlier?

Like "That's just my 2 cents though." in the end of your post.
      This clearly refers to what you just wrote, but if you instead wanted to start the post off by mentioning that it's just going to be your two cents, you wouldn't write

"This is just my two cents though.

I don't feel like........."

but you would write

"This is just my two cents.

I don't feel like..."

So just like you can't use "but" without referring back to the last sentence, you don't really use "though" that way either - as far as I know :f_eek: