Deepstacked Rush

• jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I'm currently playing rush NL50 SH, and I feel a bit out of my depth if my stack grows beyond about 200bb. I often end up making lots of loose calls preflop 'because of the implied odds' and check/folding the flop. I've started sitting out and rejoining if my stack goes beyond 200bb, because, unlike normal ring games, you can immediately sit back down with 100bb. But I also find that people fold preflop, particularly from the blinds, more often when you have a deep stack (don't ask me why), which is good ofc.

Sorry for the ramble, but does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • 5 replies
    • achschelo
      achschelo
      Bronze
      I'm also playing Rush NL50, and I too have the same dilemma.
      When I'm over 200bb deep, I feel that I (usually) protect my stack a bit better. The big problem is variance, once you get hit with some runner runner flush when you were way ahead with top set, you will very often lose your entire stack.
      People do tend to give more respect to deep stack players, I'm pretty sure they are thinking - "hey this guy has a 300bb stack, he must know what he's doing, so his 3bet is probably good".
      If I get real deep 250bb+ I will stand up and sit back down with 100bb. I usually keep playing with 200+-.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      deepstacks are where the fun starts :D
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      deepstacks are where the fun starts :D
      I'm starting to agree with you there.
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      I'm currently playing rush NL50 SH, and I feel a bit out of my depth if my stack grows beyond about 200bb. I often end up making lots of loose calls preflop 'because of the implied odds' and check/folding the flop. I've started sitting out and rejoining if my stack goes beyond 200bb, because, unlike normal ring games, you can immediately sit back down with 100bb. But I also find that people fold preflop, particularly from the blinds, more often when you have a deep stack (don't ask me why), which is good ofc.

jbplatzer ;) ,

Firstly, playing speculative hands IP against TAGs is way more profitable deepstacked (and, ofc, in general too). Secondly, if you don't feel comfortably semibluffing and playing big bluffs in good spots (which is good if you're not very experienced), then I really like your approach. There's nothing bad in re joining the tables 100BB.

Every mistake is very costly when we're deep and don't have much experience in playing deep.

Cheers,
      Michal

Cheers,
      Michal
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sapheal
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

jbplatzer ;) ,

Firstly, playing speculative hands IP against TAGs is way more profitable deepstacked (and, ofc, in general too). Secondly, if you don't feel comfortably semibluffing and playing big bluffs in good spots (which is good if you're not very experienced), then I really like your approach. There's nothing bad in re joining the tables 100BB.

Every mistake is very costly when we're deep and don't have much experience in playing deep.

Cheers,
      Michal

Cheers,
      Michal
      I don't have this problem with rush any more ofc, but thanks for the advice.