[NL2-NL10] nl5 a8 bb defend

• Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      And on this one? :)

Ran into villian a few times, seems quite strong.

I figure i'm always c-betting that flop from bb, in case I can make him fold, and I have some equity, and don't want to c/c.

Turn seems great for me, but his re-raise just seems like a slow played set. I suppose we can give him ak/aq here, so I call to see the river.

As it is, I don't want to just fold the river, possibly having some more fold equity from that card. If I can just get a call that would be good, but I block bet for value.

Is that line ok? Or perhaps I should have just checked the river and folded, seeing as I always perceived that his hand was probably stronger than mine on the turn?

Thanks

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $7.47
      MP1:
      $3.86
      MP2:
      $5.42
      MP3:
      $1.95
      CO:
      $3.20
      BU:
      $4.00
      SB (Hero):
      $9.77
      BB:
      $5.46
      UTG1:
      $8.15

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 8.
      UTG1 raises to $0.15, 6 folds, Hero calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) A, 7, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG1 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.75) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, UTG1 raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.20.

River: ($4.25) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.90, UTG1 raises to $6.05(All-In), Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.15.
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jim4rdo,

Flop: Why not let him CBet his whole range here? He may easily just fold his weak hands which he didn't hit while he is still able to CBet with them.

As played
      Turn: That's pretty sick, we are as well that deep, I don't think that I would go for a 3bet here either. At the best just Call him down while he may easily even have worse 2pairs.
      River: Guess the best idea is here to block-bet/fold because I don't think that he is like ever going to raise with a lot worse and turn his hand into bluff. And as well we don't want to Call a huge bet. And he might even at some spots consider Checking behind with his some showdown hands which he may Call us. Therefore rather would as well donk it than Call a huge bet.

Best regards.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      When you say about letting him c-bet his whole range here, do you mean check raise him, or just check call and see how he reacts on the turn?

And thanks for the comments on the hand!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo
      When you say about letting him c-bet his whole range here, do you mean check raise him, or just check call and see how he reacts on the turn?

And thanks for the comments on the hand!
      Most likely Check/Call while the problem with Check/Raise is that we mostly making worse hands to fold and wont even let bluffs to continue. So basically we are isolating ourselves against better hands.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Sorry to bring this back up!

I just kept thinking about it while I was at work.

When we say about letting him c-bet his range, without sounding too stupid, what's the point here?

Because if we bet out, we have some fold equity (ok not a lot because not exactly a scary board, but some) and also, we have some actual equity in the hand. And also if we only c/c it's possible we have no idea where we stand in the hand, and so could risk losing a lot of money on later streets because of our passive play.

Is it so that if he's missed we get value out of him without making him fold right out of the pot? To bluff induce and value him on later streets?

I agree though on the c/r only isolating ourselves though.

Thanks!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      When we say about letting him c-bet his range, without sounding too stupid, what's the point here?

The main idea of letting him CBet here is that if for example we put him on some range. I mean he is going to CBet like most of his range here unless he really has like CBet of 50% and which could mean that he does that only with made hands. And without knowing that I'd rather let him CBet his whole range.

With letting him CBet his whole range you will get value by any crappy hands from him, maybe some weaker pairs/weaker PPs/broadways/SCs and so hands. So basically his whole range. But the problem with you donking is that he ain't gonna continue with a lot of hands there, mainly only Ax or some kind of draw and of course sets.

Hopefully I did explain it a bit better now and if you have further questions then you can always ask. :)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Thanks for the clarification, got it now :)