what game to play in micro stakes

• 6 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Juglinjugglo
      starting br is 50
      what game should you play in order to increase your bankroll?
      cash games or sng?
      in cash games is no limit better or limit games?

More about your personal preference really, and what game you wish to play when you are playing the higher limits. The micros are your training ground, so makes sense to play now in whatever discipline you wish to pursue later.

No matter what you choose, you can always change your mind later - But I recommend always starting at the bottom of the ladder :)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Essentially, the one thing I recommend NOT playing are MTT's. You really need 100 buyins to play them effectively. Cash games or SNG's both work. It's hard to describe what kind of player will do well at each of them. I suggest learning the basic strategy of one, then try it out. If you don't like it that much or get bored, try the other one. Start out playing Full Ring No-Limit Hold'Em Cash games or 9-man No-Limit Hold'Em SNG's, I would recommend. Feel free to experiment though, I still haven't found a specialty and I've been playing since the start of the year. So no rush. Just avoid MTT's until you have at least a hundred bucks, unless you play on PokerStars which offer <50c buy-in MTT's.

Also, avoid heads-up SNG's for a while. They are not beginner friendly.
    • andreimgs
      andreimgs
      Bronze
      Doesn't matter that much. Play something that you like but keep a good bankroll management.

I don't think that you can find limit games with stakes small enough.

You should start with full ring tables if you choose cash (the variance is smaller than shorthanded).

At SNG you should be ok with 50 buy-ins, so 1$ SNG are alright for you.

Good Luck at the tables !
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Heads up SNG's. good bankroll management.

Learn about fundamentals of poker, positional awareness, bet sizing and hand reading, the three ingredients to a successful player.

Also variance is low at the small stakes :)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Seriously? Wow. Well, I trust your judgment, but never would have expected that was how a beginner should start. Doesn't PokerStrategy not provide heads-up strategy for precisely that reason?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I know the friends I taught IRL started with heads up SNG's and all of them are very happy they did, they now play MTT's, HU cash, 6max cash and full ring cash all putting down their good fundamentals down to HU SNG's.

The standard of play in a $1.10 HU SNG is really really really bad and because of the aggresive bankroll management you can use there are very few regs at small stakes.