maintaining concentration levels

• twinny90
      twinny90
      Bronze
      I have recently been struggling with my concentration levels whilst playing poker.

I have read a few articles which kind of helped......

The first was too obvious, turn off any distractions which I always do. I still found myself drifting away mentally from my game.

I found making notes on players sat next to me helpful eg. The ones in the bb when you’re on the button. this allowed me to get accurate reads and tells on them, and keep my mind on the game. funny enough I won that game!

The second article i read was about music, its been proven that music with lyrics are more distracting than those without. YouTube provides endless playlists of music that supposedly help with concentration levels. I wasn’t much of a believer at first, but admittedly it did help!

Any other ideas which will keep my head in the game and eyes on the prize will be greatly appreciated!
  • 6 replies
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      Hook a brother up with these youtube playlists bro!

I have the same problem as you actually. I've tried rush poker tables, but I kinda don't like that it's a gamble on who you're playing, you can't get good reads, and have no idea how many fish are at the table every time you go to a new one.

I'm not sure what you could do, but this post is worth the bump, cause I wanna see the results as soon as they come in from more experienced players.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Keep your sessions as short as possible at the start - gradually build mental stamina.

Also keeping yourself in good physical shape is v important - and getting enough sleep, making sure you do stuff away from the computer when you are not playing.
    • twinny90
      twinny90
      Bronze
      type in youtube

music that improves concentration levels.
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      How many tables are you playing? Keep your self busy by playing an extra table maybe.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      Keep your sessions as short as possible at the start - gradually build mental stamina.

Also keeping yourself in good physical shape is v important - and getting enough sleep, making sure you do stuff away from the computer when you are not playing.
      That tip is very true! Sleeping helps when you need to concentrate so make sure you sleep at least 7 hours per night. (Some people can do 6 and some people need 8) And working out provides you with a chemical that helps you relax after your work out.

How many tables are you playing? Keep your self busy by playing an extra table maybe.

This is true as well but you shouldn't play too many table if you are not sure of your game. Of course, if you play only 1-2 tables then you can try 3-4 and see how you do.

Take care
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Laggsy
      That's also only true if you are a winning player. As a winning player adding tables will generally decrease your winrate but at least if you don't excessively do it increase your hourly rate. But if you are a losing player increasing the number of tables will at the very least accordingly multiply your losses.

;) Thazar