What to watch ... what to read and how to study

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      OK, guys as some1 said time ago, abundances isn’t always a bless. In fact, these days, especially online, abundance of poker’s materials is king and Im losing myself swimming free in this ocean of info.
      If we exclude the time that Im actual play, there is a worst of time in a day where Im wondering what to watch (in term of Poker videos) and what to read. Also, when come the time for studying, well that is the worst of the worst, as I really don’t know where to start.

Now, what I would like to ask to this community is, there is any one that like to share his/her approach to all the stream of materials available and how to approach and face a proper study time. It will be very appriciate and a great bless for me. Thank you!
  • 9 replies
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      What games and stakes are you playing, before anything else???
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      sometimes I think its good to pick a topic... like preflop strat... and read everything i can on THAT specific topic. then develop my game in that area.

then pick a new topic... like blind defense, or playing OOP with intitative, and find all the material you can.

rinse/repeat.

the reason i like this approach is because vague understanding is sort of easy to come by and not very useful in the long term.

by contrast, grinding out a deep understanding of individual topics makes them easy to remember AND compartmentalizing ideas should help make sense of the information overload.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Im playing NL5 (BSS). TY :)
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      First of all then... you should watch ALL VIDEOS available for your game and stakes. You could watch those up to NL50, because the rules and competition (i.e. the donkaments) are the same... only the amounts involved are different.

I do think that PS.com has all the material necessary for guys who want to start. I read like 13 books until now and I found that they only make a huge difference from NL200 and above.

There are still two books I'd recommend: The Poker Mindset and The Psychology of Poker. They will help you putting your mind in the right framework to play serious poker.

So... watch ALL VIDEOS at least TWICE and then you can look for information elsewhere.
    • twinny90
      twinny90
      Bronze
      good effort at writing in english! your not english are you? lol
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      sometimes I think its good to pick a topic... like preflop strat... and read everything i can on THAT specific topic. then develop my game in that area.

then pick a new topic... like blind defense, or playing OOP with intitative, and find all the material you can.

rinse/repeat.

the reason i like this approach is because vague understanding is sort of easy to come by and not very useful in the long term.

by contrast, grinding out a deep understanding of individual topics makes them easy to remember AND compartmentalizing ideas should help make sense of the information overload.
      This is really great advice for me I have the same problem as kiroman, I struggle to take so much info in!! I have started to read and reread the articles on here so each concept begins to sink in! Have just spent this evening rereading about pot odds which I read months ago but realised I never really learned about discounted outs.
      Also I have started to take notes which I stick to the walls around my desk to help things go into my extremely sloooow head!!! :P

Roo :P
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by twinny90
      good effort at writing in english! your not english are you? lol
      http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/youryoure.html
    • cakuled
      cakuled
      Bronze
      ^ this..
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      In the same situation as OP, nice comment, that's helpful :)