Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $3.53
      Hero:
      $5.19

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , 9:diamond:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, 3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.37

Small sample, but villain is loose and ORL 100% so appears to be stealing with almost ATC.

I am far ahead of his range so I am pretty sure raise is fine. But it got me thinking: if I know I am massively ahead, is there ever a case for call rather than raise in this situation? (Assume the blinds are very tight and unlikely to interfere, as was the case at this table.) For example what if I had AA? If I raise, he'll fold his trash almost every time; but if I call, I might get some more value postflop (e.g. if he has a high cbet%). Is there any merit to this argument or should I always just play straightforward??
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

if I know I am massively ahead, is there ever a case for call rather than raise in this situation?

One of those cases would be for example he is Calling a lot of your 3bets and not folding at all. Then I would likely consider to Call with A9s rather than 3bet because it will be anyways hard to make him fold postflop while he seems to be going to showdown a lot. Of course the sample is small but if for example we had more hands.

Best regards.