This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 A9s BU vs CU steal

• member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $3.53
      Hero:
      $5.19

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , 9:diamond:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, 3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.37

Small sample, but villain is loose and ORL 100% so appears to be stealing with almost ATC.

I am far ahead of his range so I am pretty sure raise is fine. But it got me thinking: if I know I am massively ahead, is there ever a case for call rather than raise in this situation? (Assume the blinds are very tight and unlikely to interfere, as was the case at this table.) For example what if I had AA? If I raise, he'll fold his trash almost every time; but if I call, I might get some more value postflop (e.g. if he has a high cbet%). Is there any merit to this argument or should I always just play straightforward??
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

if I know I am massively ahead, is there ever a case for call rather than raise in this situation?

One of those cases would be for example he is Calling a lot of your 3bets and not folding at all. Then I would likely consider to Call with A9s rather than 3bet because it will be anyways hard to make him fold postflop while he seems to be going to showdown a lot. Of course the sample is small but if for example we had more hands.

Best regards.