playing over pairs

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello everyone

I switched to playing bss from mss a little while ago and im struggling to know how to play overpairs. In mss strategy you just bet/raise on each street with an overpair.

Is it profitable to play like this and how should I adapt my game?
      example last night I had AA the flop came 679d villain called all my bets down to the river and he had 8 10d.
      I know I was high percentage to win preflop but find it hard to know when to fold an overpair like AA( which is always going to be an overpair!!)

Thanks

Roo
  • 8 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Try to get away from thinking you should play a certain way with certain hands and instead, assign ranges to your opponents and ask yourself how you should play against this range.

So you raise AA pre, get called by a fish and the flop comes 679d - You bet and he calls... What do you think he has? Pre he could have anything so then when he calls you post flop his range narrows considerably. He could have JT with a d, 2 pair, any one pair with ok kicker, a flopped flush\straight, a set etc. So how much of this range do you beat on the turn and what was the turn card? Any stats on villain? I assume you were out of position? Did you have the Ad?

Some fish will call with anything but most of the time, even with really bad players they have at least some standards post flop so on this board, depending on reads I would be inclined to slow down on the turn and see what he does then re-evaluate. You have to ask yourself what worse hands he can call with... if there aren't any or maybe only one or two then you're better off not betting because certainly, no better hand is going to fold.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Try to get away from thinking you should play a certain way with certain hands and instead, assign ranges to your opponents and ask yourself how you should play against this range.

So you raise AA pre, get called by a fish and the flop comes 679d - You bet and he calls... What do you think he has? Pre he could have anything so then when he calls you post flop his range narrows considerably. He could have JT with a d, 2 pair, any one pair with ok kicker, a flopped flush\straight, a set etc. So how much of this range do you beat on the turn and what was the turn card? Any stats on villain? I assume you were out of position? Did you have the Ad?

Some fish will call with anything but most of the time, even with really bad players they have at least some standards post flop so on this board, depending on reads I would be inclined to slow down on the turn and see what he does then re-evaluate. You have to ask yourself what worse hands he can call with... if there aren't any or maybe only one or two then you're better off not betting because certainly, no better hand is going to fold.
      thanks Wurble thats really great advice !! im going to have a week or two off playing and study ranges as this is a very weak part of my game!! :P
    • m3ta
      m3ta
      Bronze

n1 sir.

your hand strength can change on every street and therefore your desired value.
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Yes I completely agree. You need to think ranges before anything else. If you raise Pre-Flop on any respectable level the callers should have quite a strong range (obviously not better than aces) It would be hard to put him on T8 on this hand because of the pre-flop raise but I think sets would definitely be an option. What stakes were you playing because at some limits those calls will be made Pre more than others. With all the possible draws on the board (flush and straight) it would be best to bet flop, check turn, and if he fires back a substantial raise you know it's time to throw them in.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iPerform
      Yes I completely agree. You need to think ranges before anything else. If you raise Pre-Flop on any respectable level the callers should have quite a strong range (obviously not better than aces) It would be hard to put him on T8 on this hand because of the pre-flop raise but I think sets would definitely be an option. What stakes were you playing because at some limits those calls will be made Pre more than others. With all the possible draws on the board (flush and straight) it would be best to bet flop, check turn, and if he fires back a substantial raise you know it's time to throw them in.
      I was playing nl25 good advice about the check/fold on the turn!! have been thinking about this hand for two days!! lol The option I was thinking about was a bet/fold on the turn. He reraised me on the turn and I stupidly called it down.

next time this happens I will be ready!!! lol
    • m3ta
      m3ta
      Bronze
      So why is Bet/Fold bad ?
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by m3ta
      So why is Bet/Fold bad ?
      I dont think it is bad, I think I was misleading in my first post saying he called me down which was wrong as he reraised me on the turn in this hand.
      I think maybe check/fold would have been showing weakness but the board was so draw heavy it seems like this would have saved me spewing more of my hard earned wonga!!! lol

Would you have played bet/fold??
    • m3ta
      m3ta
      Bronze
      with A :diamond: c/c is ok - here we can almost do whatever we want.
      without A :diamond: I think we almost have to b/f.

If u'd like to get some handevaluations u can post them in the handevaluationforums.