[NL2-NL10] NL4SH - QQ check river for bluff induce?

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BB: $4.00
      Hero (UTG): $7.88
      CO: $4.00
      BTN: $3.56
      SB: $5.44

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has Q:heart: Q:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.16, fold, BTN calls $0.16, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.38, 2 players) 7:spade: 5:heart: 4:spade:
      Hero bets $0.24, BTN calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.86, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero bets $0.56, BTN raises to $1.12, Hero calls $0.56

River: ($3.10, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.47, Hero calls $1.47
  • 4 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      More like protection as well...
      Turn c/r indicates a lot of strength
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Usually such raises on turn are rather strong than weak drawing hands. Unless he really has some kind of draw+Jx or whatsoever hand. Although more often I'd basically just bet/Fold there unless I know the opponent more. And even if I want to continue then I'd just ship the turn myself over his raise.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Usually such raises on turn are rather strong than weak drawing hands. Unless he really has some kind of draw+Jx or whatsoever hand. Although more often I'd basically just bet/Fold there unless I know the opponent more. And even if I want to continue then I'd just ship the turn myself over his raise.

Best regards.
      Wow, ship it?

Unfortunately he's unknown. Well, I would ship it if I knew he'd do that with FD but what else could he have? AJ of spades? He cold called the BTN pre so I don't think he's playing 68 but in these limits you can never be sure.

To be honest, the one point that has cost me the most money is river (of course), especially paying big river bets and/or betting OOP with a strong hand and getting raised. This one I decided to just check it, because he's probably fold missed draws anyway, and by checking I give him an opp to bluff the Ahigh missed draw.

If he bet potsize I'd probably fold and he'd probably play JJ like that or so.

But anyway, he showed A6o (horrible) and was raising "OESD" on turn :f_grin:

So in the end it "worked", I just posted to check if that makes sense and/or if it's "standard" - even if very villain dependant of course, like pretty much everything else in poker :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Unfortunately he's unknown. Well, I would ship it if I knew he'd do that with FD but what else could he have? AJ of spades? He cold called the BTN pre so I don't think he's playing 68 but in these limits you can never be sure.

The problem is that there is no point to continue either. I mean if you Call there you basically giving him great odds for a draw and as well if he even has some weaker hand then he likely is paying us or maybe even with draw. Plus of course do you plan to Call the turn and fold the river?

To be honest, the one point that has cost me the most money is river (of course), especially paying big river bets and/or betting OOP with a strong hand and getting raised. This one I decided to just check it, because he's probably fold missed draws anyway, and by checking I give him an opp to bluff the Ahigh missed draw.

Mostly it costs you because you Calling the turn and then feeling kinda commit on river. :) And likely will loose money against a passive opponent in this case. That's why I would as well rather prefer either to Bet/Fold it right on turn vs passive opponent or vs somewhat unknown if I want to continue then likely ship to get value from worse pairs/draws.