Hello

• nowandthen12
      nowandthen12
      Bronze
      Hello community,

Name is Kris A.K.A. pokerbrattwo on PS and pokerbratwo on party poker. Starting back from scratch with cards for the second time. First time I managed to self implode and not stick to my own rules that I set for myself and so you know the rest of the story.....

If anyone has any helpful advice for a newbie, that would be greatly appreciated. Gl to all in your journeys.

Best wishes :f_cool:
  • 10 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Kris,

Sad to hear you couldn't discipline yourself enough to stick with BRM last time out, but seriously its so so hard to do. If you are used to playing bigger stakes then playing for $1-$5 might not be attractive, but if you played a game on the xbox that you absilutely loved, really challenged your mind AND you got paid how happy would you be?

Treat it like a video game, a huge challenge to yourself and always think, ok to get to the next boss (player at higher stakes) I have o do X Y and Z, when I do I will be ready and my weapons I have collected will now be big enough (bankroll) thinking oh I need to play higher so I can win more usually ends up in you losing everything.

What games do you like to play? Maybe I can give you some specific help regarding them, I promise to not use any gaming metaphors.

:)
    • nowandthen12
      nowandthen12
      Bronze
      Thank your very much Pleno1, that put a smile on my face as well as give me hope for this journey.

Im starting from scratch so im back to the basics with A,B,C, at the micro stakes (.01/.02). I'll be grinding the levels out with my BRM will not exceed 2% at any time, and if I get the urge to cross that line, ill just think back of what happened last time.

My account is set up with Party poker and so the grind is beginning today. If you could suggest some articles to me that would be greatly appriciated as well (sometimes I get swollen head full of ego that never asks for suggestions). So this time I'll ask.

Thank you very much.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I'm not sure on specific articles. I think first of all you should look at our hand charts and see what hands you should be playing. I'll give you a few useful reminders to always think of when playing the micros.

1) DO NOT LIMP! This will be a bad habit and although it could potentially be ok in the micro stakes as you move up it will be a terrible habit

2) When value betting, bet big. If people have a pair they usually call. I don't mean betting $5 into a $0.17 pot, but if the pot is $0.17, then bet $0.14 or so as if they are going to call $0.8 they are going to call $0.14 and if you miss out on this 3 times then you will be losing something like 24bbs, which is obviously gigantic

3) People are generally passive, if they are bet , bet , betting then sometimes you have to fold top pair, remember most people are just having fun and using poker as a social pastime

4) Although 3) is correct, there wil always be some wild animals at the table. These are usually easy to identify, if you use a heads up display (HUD) then you will be able to see which players are playing tight, who is being aggro etc. If there is a tight guy betting 3 streets your AJ probably isn't good, if there is a wild loose cannon betting 3 streets then you should probably fist pump.

Poker is all about identifying your opponents weaknesses and tendancies, at hgher stakes its harder because people are more sophisticated but at micro stakes people generally fall into the same catergories. LAG

(loose aggresive) nitty (don't play much) TAG (tight aggresive) and finally loose cannon. Once you can identify them then you can start reeling the money in.
    • nowandthen12
      nowandthen12
      Bronze
      Pleno,

I began the day with a horrible run and being down $10 on a .01/.02 tables. Then I realized what i was doing, and that was playing like my ego was too big to fit in the room with me. I sat out after loosing my AK vs 63 and decided that I was going to follow rules of playing or i'm not playing at all. Then I looked in the article section of this site and found an article about tilting and signs of tilting, then got a pep talk from my girl that confirmed everything that the article was talking about so i could be on the right path and not play tilted.

Identifying fish, and semi fish, and fish food, I leave that up for my tracker to get their stats, but for the most part i have to relay on my first instinct and when it says to fold i should fold.

Every couple hours I take a break, and sit out and read an article or take a walk away from the tables. Same thing for when I feel like im showing signs of tilting, I walk away before I blow up again.

Thanks for your time, effort and help. :spade: :spade:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi nowandthen,

that is great sign of progress! mindset issues are really important and often overlooked as sometimes people concentrate too heavily in the technical aspect of the game. im proud and happy to see you doing well :)

thanks to pleno for being superfantastico like always.

cheers,
      Wendy
    • seanygeorge1977
      seanygeorge1977
      Bronze
      i just passed that quiz it said it will deposit 50 into my account does it really do that and how long
    • iPerform
      iPerform
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1

Treat it like a video game, a huge challenge to yourself and always think, ok to get to the next boss (player at higher stakes) I have o do X Y and Z, when I do I will be ready and my weapons I have collected will now be big enough (bankroll) thinking oh I need to play higher so I can win more usually ends up in you losing everything.

I love this analogy times a millionnn :heart:
      I'm going to think about this more from now on!
    • MartinMcS
      MartinMcS
      Bronze
      1) DO NOT LIMP! This will be a bad habit and although it could potentially be ok in the micro stakes as you move up it will be a terrible habit
      ++++
      If anyone asks me for poker advice. This is my first online tip. So many people do it, raise your hands pre flop, and represent it after the flop, whether its hit or not. Majority of the time, they will fold.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by iPerform

I love this analogy times a millionnn :heart:
      I'm going to think about this more from now on!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • nowandthen12
      nowandthen12
      Bronze
      Yeah, they will deposit $50 to you acct on what site you choose, if it's William Hill, Party Poker, or Full tilt.