micro SNG turbo 45max - need help:o]

• Radagast13
      Radagast13
      Bronze
      Hi, could you advice me, pls?

Many times I'm ending on bubble or befor final table. So, I think there is a problem in push/fold phaze... but if I decide to push any good hand there is an action before me... so, I fold. And if I had a luck to go all-in with monster hand or just better hand against weaker hand I had an incredible suckout in cca 70% (KK to A3o, AQs to 33, atd.)

I want to beat micro limits but with this coin flip game it is very hard...

Don't know if these stats will help you in valuation but I will be very happy for any good advice;o]

Micro SNG 45 Turbo 0,5 - 1$

games - 323
      ITM - 25%
      WIN/LOSE - 80/243
      Early finish - 9%
      Early/Middle finish - 13,9%
      Middle finish - 20,4%
      Middle/Late finish - 25,1%
      Late finish - 31,6%

Thanks a lot!
  • 5 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      There is no way to avoid busting out before the money in the vast majority of 45-player tournaments. If you are playing on a site which pays 7 places, par is to cash 7/45 of the time, or 16%. If your site pays 6 places, par is to cash 13% of the time. So, cashing 25% of the time doesn't mean there is any problem. It is a problem if you cash often but rarely make the top 3, and thus do not have a good ROI.

Note that busting out early is not worse than bubbling out. In fact, it is better because you save time. You might be too risk-averse early on because you aren't used to busting out early, but doubling up early almost doubles your tournament equity even though you are far from the money.

Are you folding decent hands after a loose player limps? After a minimum raise from someone who is raising 40% of the time?
    • Radagast13
      Radagast13
      Bronze
      Thank you for answer.
      As you wrote, my ITM finishing is not so bad but problem is to finish in TOP 3. I think I have to be more aggressive in middle phase to keep my fold equity and I have to better distinguish each phases. Am I right?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I'm playin on PS.
    • Radagast13
      Radagast13
      Bronze
      BTW, I am confused about your advice to "double up" in early phase.. Every where I read that I have to be super tight in early phase so how to do it?? ?(
    • ro1chwvd
      ro1chwvd
      Bronze
      I also think that tight is right in the early phases, but because in mt sngs chip accumulation is more important than just surviving, some more risks can be taken early to double/triple up.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Radagast13
      Every where I read that I have to be super tight in early phase
      Particularly for MTTs, this is wrong, but it is also wrong for STTs.

It is important that new players learn not to play hands like A8o UTG 9-handed. These hands would set up unprofitable guessing games even for experts, and new players do even worse.

This does not mean that you should fold AJo in late position after a loose player or two limps in. You need to recognize that this is a very profitable situation and that folding would burn money. If you play too tightly, then you skip many good opportunities whose chances to give you a lot of chips are easily worth the risks. Then you will be short-stacked later which means you can't apply as much pressure to others and you can't survive losing a showdown.

The ICM does NOT say to play very tightly early. According to the ICM, you are much less risk-averse when getting all-in when there are 9 players left than near the bubble. According to the ICM, your risk-aversion falls even further when you will usually play a small pot instead of risking your whole stack. If you play very tightly early, you are going against the ICM. The ICM is not perfect, but you need a clear reason to do things the ICM says will lose money.

If you want to play really tightly early, then play turbo SNGs where your incorrect play will hurt you much less than in MTTs.