SSS on small blind.

• Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Hey guys, does the SHC still apply to when you're in the SB and you want to complete? If there are 4 limpers and you have J10s, do I fold in that situation too?
  • 15 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      complete with any pp if there are 2+ limpers
      complete medium suited connectors if there are 3+ limpers
      complete Ax suited if there are 3+ limpers
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      complete with any pp if there are 2+ limpers
      complete medium suited connectors if there are 3+ limpers
      complete Ax suited if there are 3+ limpers
      If these plays aren't in the strategy, why are we being instructed to use them?
      The idea of SSS is to keep it as simple as possible yet instructors mention stealing with A10 in late position. Adding these plays just makes it more difficult post flop for SSS players which goes against what the SSS is trying to teach. There is no calling preflop in SSS so why complete?

Either update the SHC for SSS or stick to and stop being so contradictory. It seems to me like you are merging SSS and BSS.
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      The video's arent playing the SSS as the strategy reads either. There are subtle differences also like the ones mentioned here.

I don't mind if that is how we should play and that maybe it is part of the transition to BSS but you have to be consistent in your teachings. Players start by reading the articles and it becomes confusing when we are taught to play differently.
    • luxdelux
      luxdelux
      Bronze
      still you can't play sss like a robot, you sometimes spice things up by not following the book.
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luxdelux
      still you can't play sss like a robot, you sometimes spice things up by not following the book.
      I agree, but as beginner i also recommend following pre-flop chart 100%. For micro limits i dont agree with Xylere proposal for finishing hand.
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      I think whether or not it confuses things is immaterial, I think that, if it's +EV, then it should be played. Perhaps the articles are so straightforward because it gives new players the foundation to progress profitably? So as they read through the forums, and such, they learn how they can slightly modify their strategy. I think it works.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Watto77, sorry, but I can`t get what is your problem? Play standart SSS as much as you like. When I was playing NL 10 I was using strictly 100% basic SSS and my additional knowledge didn`t hurt my play.

But when someone asks if it is profitable to complete some hands from SB, should I lie and answer no? just to make things clear)
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Xylere,

I am sorry what I wrote needled you a bit because it wasn't my intention and I should have posted again to make sure you didn't take it that way. It does get frustrating however watching your BR go up and down and not really going anywhere and then finding out there are more profitable ways to play SSS. If thats the case then tell us so in the first place or extend the articles in basic or bronze to cover it.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Watto77
      If thats the case then tell us so in the first place or extend the articles in basic or bronze to cover it.
      it is covered by articles, for instance, http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/581/

Maybe you should start putting more effort in your poker education. And I still can`t understand your problem with additional information. There are advanced SSS trainings, articles, instructional hands and this is not done for nothing. You won`t be able to "keep it simple" forever (unless your goal is to be NL 50 winning player), but do it untill it works for you. Those who want to go further probably have to study game deeper, at least to know why we should complete JTs when the pot odds are 10:1 (first post example)
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      If thats the case then tell us so in the first place or extend the articles in basic or bronze to cover it.
      it is covered by articles, for instance, http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/581/

Maybe you should start putting more effort in your poker education. And I still can`t understand your problem with additional information. There are advanced SSS trainings, articles, instructional hands and this is not done for nothing. You won`t be able to "keep it simple" forever (unless your goal is to be NL 50 winning player), but do it untill it works for you. Those who want to go further probably have to study game deeper, at least to know why we should complete JTs when the pot odds are 10:1 (first post example)
      that artical is for the bss... watto is talking about how to play the sss. If there are things in the bss we should use in the sss, there should be an artical call "advanced SSS" or somthing along these lines that says what we should use from the bss. I'm brozen and when i click NL strategy i don't see any sss advanced trainings like u said, besides sss typical rookie mistakes. All the other articals just talk about the bss. I don't know why ur being so hostal towards watto. I think he brings up a vaild point. Could u maby link me to an advanted SSS artical that i would be able to read please.
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze

What I am trying to do is to move through the articles and master each one first before I move onto the next. Make no mistake i am certainly not a Gold rated player and I know that. I am in this for the long haul because I can see that it is profitable and I enjoy learning. I understand that I won't be able to keep it simple forever but the reason I am being so diligent is because I don't want to miss anything and that I want to be as successful at this as I can.

The URL you posted is to do with implied odds. How does implied odds have anything to do with SSS when 90% of the time we are either all-in preflop or on the flop because we are taught to do so. I have been told by a moderator that you should play SSS and BSS entirely separately. All I am asking for is consistent information thats all.

I am here to learn not ridicule so lets both take a breath and write to each other without the angst hey? :)
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Thanks Ave27
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Both BSS are SSS the strategies for one game and whether you want it or not you will have to study game fundamentals.

How does implied odds have anything to do with SSS when 90% of the time we are either all-in preflop or on the flop because we are taught to do so.

Immplied odds explain why you can complete from SB)

Links for Ave27:
      SSS essay week #52 "Late position"
      Essay SSS "blind defense vs. unknown"

And I am sure you can dig a lot more if you want to.

Btw, posting some hands won`t hurt. There are two judges to help and experienced players, like frzl. If you were posting at least 15-20 hands per week you probably wouldn`t have "I don`t know what to study" problem)

And I am not needled or hostal, I am just trying to help)
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Both BSS are SSS the strategies for one game and whether you want it or not you will have to study game fundamentals.

How does implied odds have anything to do with SSS when 90% of the time we are either all-in preflop or on the flop because we are taught to do so.

Immplied odds explain why you can complete from SB)

Links for Ave27:

Btw, posting some hands won`t hurt. There are two judges to help and experienced players, like frzl. If you were posting at least 15-20 hands per week you probably wouldn`t have "I don`t know what to study" problem)

And I am not needled or hostal, I am just trying to help)
      Thanks a lot for the links. I didn't know they posted things like this in the fourms *i just got the money last night and it was my 2nd time on the fourms.*. Very helpfull stuff.
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Links for Ave27:

And I am not needled or hostal, I am just trying to help)[/quote]Ok cool, thanks for your help.

I am posting hands when a new situation comes up that I haven't encountered yet or if I have forgotten how to play something correctly and I am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks again