This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NL100SH: TPTK facing huge overbet

• Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $226.86
      BB:
      $109.18

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , K:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $3.50, SB folds, BB raises to $10.00, Hero calls $6.50.

Flop: ($20.50) 7:diamond: , A:heart: , T:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $14, Hero calls $14.00.

Turn: ($48.50) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $85.18 (All-In), Hero ???

I didn't 4-bet preflop because Villain was rather fishy (though his stats seem reasonable) and I had been bullying the table over the last 10 hands. So I thougt that he might stack off with a worse ace. The flop gives me that, so I call one bet, intending to raise on the turn, but instead, he makes a huge overbet. I know that this is exactly what I wanted, so you might think that this is an easy call, but is it?
  • 6 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      You got caught by your own trap, hehe :D
      The problem is here that your trap above all else, kept you from getting getting any read. There's no telling what he can hold : set, double pair AT (or worse) or a worse ace ...

Whenever I try a play like that and things suddenly completely don't go how I'd expected them to go, I'd be inclined to give it up ... however, here, I think you can't. Why would he bet a set like this on such a board ? If he got AT or A5 (bah), well, too bad ... against relatively unknowns, you can't give up TPTK in a reraised pot to an overbet without information and a draw-free board. If you had obtained information on the flop or preflop, you might have been able to avoid an all-in with that information ...
    • KillaKHAN
      KillaKHAN
      Bronze
      he could be holding a low suited A with spades so he's making a semi-bluff with some outs...
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Whoops, just noticed that I posted my hands in the wrong section.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I call. The only 2 hands that scare me are AA and TT. But why should he push these hands? You dont want to have fold equity on such a board. Hence, I'd put him more often on AK/AQ, or he's doing a stupid move with a hand like JJ-KK
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Indeed, I thought so too, so I called. He showed T5 though :(
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Well, he was hard to read, you gotta give him that ...
      T5 ... no wonder you usually got contempt for your opponents :D