UTG ($52.75)
      UTG+1 ($62.45)
      Hero ($20)
      MP1 ($50)
      MP2 ($87.80)
      CO ($50)
      BTN ($25)

Dealt to Hero A:club: K:heart:

UTG raises to $1.75, UTG+1 calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($6) 2:club: K:spade: 7:heart:

UTG bets $4.25, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $4.25

TURN ($14.50) 2:club: K:spade: 7:heart: 5:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($14.50) 2:club: K:spade: 7:heart: 5:diamond: 9:heart:

UTG bets $8, Hero?

Villain's stats,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello,
      I doubt calling with AK against UTG (tight) open raise is +EV.
      I think Hero only get paid off if the Flop comes Axx and villain has worse top pair like AQ or AJ.
      Hero hardly get paid off if Hero hits TP on Kxx and villain has QQ, JJ or TT.
      Hero pays off villain if Hero hits TP of K and villain has AA or Hero has TP and villain has set.
      So, do you think calling preflop with AK in this situation is +EV?

Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • aleksandarbogdanov
      aleksandarbogdanov
      Bronze
      pre-flop i woud squeeze up to 7$ and call 4bet all in (his range for that is QQ+ we have 30,850% with AKo and we need 30,3%{with the rake it's slightly -EV but makes my live easier )
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey JHTAN,

I like your preflop call against a tighter villain. Specially considering he will basically never call if you 3-bet him and will only 4-bet a range you're an underdog against with your AK. However if you want to decide wether to squeeze or call preflop you should also look at cold caller's stats. If he is a fish then you can 3-bet with intention of isolating him.

I would bet turn after villain checks. If he check/raises you can safely fold, but otherwise you will get a free showdown and some value from worse.

Another thing, if he has 10 PFR in UTG his range very likely includes KQ as well.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi Burek,

Do you call if Villain open raise with very tight range such as 5%?
      I mean villain may be only raise with TT+, AJs+, AQo+.
      I think if you make TPTK you can't get paid off by villain if he has MP and you will lose many money if he have set against your TPTK.
      Besides that, we have to fold if we miss the Flop.
      I mean do you think it is +EV to call with AK if against UTG open raise with tight range?

Thanks.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      Hi Burek,

Do you call if Villain open raise with very tight range such as 5%?
      I mean villain may be only raise with TT+, AJs+, AQo+.
      I think if you make TPTK you can't get paid off by villain if he has MP and you will lose many money if he have set against your TPTK.
      Besides that, we have to fold if we miss the Flop.
      I mean do you think it is +EV to call with AK if against UTG open raise with tight range?

Thanks.
      Against that range you can still call profitably in position. With this range he will be in lots of trouble on Axx boards, I think you should be able to get his whole stack most of the time. And when the board comes Kxx you can at least get the c-bet from him although you will not be able to stack him and win the SD.

First, with AK you keep his whole range of 5% postflop and against that range you have more than 50% equity. Secondly, playing in position makes it much more profitable than 1% equity advantage is according to equilator.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi burek,
      do you call with AK only in this situation?
      I mean it is very obvious to the opponents that you only call AK against UTG open raise.

Thanks.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      nice nickname burek2000 :)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      Hi burek,
      do you call with AK only in this situation?
      I mean it is very obvious to the opponents that you only call AK against UTG open raise.

Thanks.
      Against 5% PFR you can't 3-bet AK profitably, but you can play it profitably postflop if you call, so call > fold > 3-bet. Besides, against such a tight player I also cold call QQ+(JJ is already too weak to play for value) in position thus calling AK isn't so exploitable.

nice nickname burek2000 :)

Thanks. :f_biggrin:

Best regards,
      burek2000