Is my ITM% / ROI okay for a beginner?

• jangeisler
      jangeisler
      Bronze
      Hi.

I'm rather new here, and I think this is a very great site :-)

I've been keeping track of my Partypoker $0.80+0.20 SnG's.

I know 25 games are far from enough to measure ones skills, I thought that I would post it anyway, just to see if you think that I'm doing okay.

- 25 sng's
      - 5 x 1st place, $4
      - 3 x 2nd place, $2.4
      - 1 x 3rd place, $1.6
      - 16 x bust out

ITM - 36%
      Total win - $29.8
      ROI - $4.8 / 19.2%

busting out in 16 of 25 sngs seemed bad, but when i calced the roi, its not that bad i think......
  • 12 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Too small a sample to say anything, really.

But it sure helps the confidence, doesn't it? :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Playing S&G's with a 25% rake is never going to work out well for you! Move site or switch game.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I agree with PAJ. At micro limits rake is a huge expense for a poker player, so try to choose SNGs that have the lowest rake relative to the buyin.

Or to put it another way: Over your 25 tourneys you've lost $5 in rake. That's a heavy, heavy hit because it's the same as five tourney buyin + fees.

If you have enough BR to play another tourney level, do so. (I'd suggest 65 buyins as good BR.)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,

Sample size is so important, if you read our articles/watch out videos and play a few hundred games then we can give you some great analysis.

Good luck at the tables and please post back in here after you have played more volume!

Thanks
      Patrick
    • jangeisler
      jangeisler
      Bronze
      Thanks all.

Yeah, the rake is way too much for the $1 sng's at Party.

But I only have about $15 on Party, and I do not intend to transfer more now.

I play pretty consistently, and most of the time, it goes well.

When my BR is about $20 or more, I will move up to the $3 sng's, where the rake is a bit better.

I got the $50 bonus from here, and choose FTP to use them with, played a lot of $3 sng's, had a bad streak, and now I only have approx $25 at FTP.

After (hopefully) building up my BR againg at Party, I'll give FTP another shot, probably at a lower buyin.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey jangeisler,

I agree the rake on the micro limits are rather high but if you study our articles and watch our videos then you will beat these micro limits with no trouble at all.

Stick to the $1's for now and just focus on improving your game. The money will come with improvement :s_cool:

Regards,

Kyle.
    • jangeisler
      jangeisler
      Bronze
      Thanks. I will stay at $1 for now.

I checked the higher sng's at Party, and the rake is STILL approx. 20%
      After building some bankroll ( if i succeed ), I will withdraw it from Party...
    • jangeisler
      jangeisler
      Bronze
      I checked my stats on Party. I tend to limp a lot with Axs, and KJ etc, hoping to flop a monster.
      Are my stats okay? If not, what should I correct?

Table: STT
      Game: Hold'em
      Played hands: 8934

Actions:
      Fold: 56%
      Call: 10%
      Check: 14%
      Bet: 5%
      Raise: 12%
      Re-raise: 0%

When do you fold:
      Pre-flop: 67%
      Flop: 5%
      Turn: 1%
      River: 0%
      Not folded: 24%

Won hands: 20%
      Won showdowns: 7%
      Flops seen: 22%
      Prize % on seen flops: 44%
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I'd say the WTSD is a might high, maybe learn to fold on the river a bit more?

Doesn't look terrible though, starting out!

Regards,
      Richard
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      jangeisler,

The $2.25 STTs on Full Tilt are really sweet. The rake is barely over 10% and even a middling player can make money at them. I've played 52 so far and my ROI is hovering around 6%, and I'm no genius at STTs.

The Party rake sounds horriffic. Unless the opposition is super soft, I don't see a profit in playing there.

EDIT: You are using horrible BRM. PS says you need 25 buyins to play a given limit. The general recommendation elsewhere is 50 buyins, and I use a 65-buyin rule myself in order to avoid nearly any chance of having to reload.
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      jangeisler,

The $2.25 STTs on Full Tilt are really sweet. The rake is barely over 10% and even a middling player can make money at them. I've played 52 so far and my ROI is hovering around 6%, and I'm no genius at STTs.
      No doubt you know what you are doing, but you need a much larger sample to have a useful estimate of your ROI.

You are using horrible BRM. PS says you need 25 buyins to play a given limit. The general recommendation elsewhere is 50 buyins, and I use a 65-buyin rule myself in order to avoid nearly any chance of having to reload.
      Seconded. I regretted an overconfident move up with over 25 buyins, but playing with 6 buyins is pure Russian roulette. [ok, analogy not so great since you need to fail to hit the target six times rather than hitting it once, but same conclusion]
    • jangeisler
      jangeisler
      Bronze
      Thank you for your opinions and tips, guys.

ATM, I'm having a bit of a bad streak, but I'll continue and see if my luck turns :-)