This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

X3 vs x4 Preflop raise in MSS

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      The charts advise a standard 3bb openraise in MSS, some coaches advise 4bb for the micros, so which is better?

First I used 3x but lately I'm playing more tables and unfortunately there aren't enough 25%+ avg players/flop so I have to join tight tables also. The problem is that I'm getting set mined a lot, big blind is like almost committed to complete 2 big blinds every time I raise.

I switched to 4x and it's great, my raises are only called by fishes, the players I want to play against, no more regular set mining. The problem is that I have no idea how to seize my bets so I can stack off someone easily.

In the standard situation of a 3bb openraise with 1 caller the action goes like this :
      Hero raises 3bb, Villain calls 3bb; Pot 7.5bb (37 blinds left)
      Hero bets 5bb, Villain calls 5bb; Pot 17.5bb (32 blinds left)
      Hero bets 11bb, Villain calls 11bb; Pot 39.5bb (21 blinds left)
      Hero bets 21bb (allin) into a 39.5bb pot

This works smooth and probably that's why charts advise a standard 3x open.

But when openraising for 4bb :
      Hero raises 4bb, Villain calls 4bb; Pot 9.5bb (36 blinds left)
      Route #1 :
      Hero bets 9bb, Villain calls 9bb; Pot 27.5bb (27 blinds left)
      Hero bets 27bb (allin) into a 27.5 blinds pot

This route is like playing with the hammer flop & turn, potsized bets and it's hardly working, unless villain has nuts hands.

Route #2 :
      Hero bets 6bb, Villain calls 6bb; Pot 21.5bb (30 blinds left)
      Hero bets 15bb, Villain calls 15bb; Pot 51.5bb (15 blinds left)
      Hero bets 15bb (allin) into a 51.5bb pot

The problem is that players tend to fold turn more often and once I get to the river I'm always committed, I can't fold with pot odds 15/81.5 (18.4%).

By the way, I'm assuming 40bb standard stack. If I had lower it would be even worse. Any ideas on how should I adjust? How you do it, for example? I think 3.5 raise works bets but I'm not using Ninja Table/Party Tools and it's hard to type it each time on each table :(
  • 5 replies
    • zwink
      zwink
      Bronze
      I would keep playing 3x. If you know for a fact that he is set-mining then it is super easy to give up when he shows aggression unless you beat a set. 6/7 times he wont hit the set and you will pick up the pot with a cbet. So 6/7 times you pick up 3bb from him instead of just one. Where's the problem?
    • conradmafer
      conradmafer
      Bronze
      3,5 is great, I used 3bb raise at the beggining but now I think bigger raises are much better, opponents make more mistakes when the pot size is bigger in relation to our stack.
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      The official system had a standard opening bet of 4bb until recently, but now it has been quietly changed to 3bb. Not sure exactly when, but must have been very recently.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      It's been 3x since the beginning.

Yeah, 3.5 is perfect but it's hard to type it everytime, unless you have partytools or tableninja, which I don't :P . I should make a script in autohotkey, maybe.
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      BadeaCelRau is correct. I was thinking of the article "How to play before the flop" which is for the short stack strategy, not the medium stack strategy.