It always rain...(my) on wednesdays --Chicken Soup for a Badbeated Soul--

• Rainmy
      Rainmy
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, My name is Rainmy Martínez, venezuelan, 38 years old, and am a forum moderator from the spanish community. With the intention of improving my written english , I would like to start a blog to publish some posts I've written in my community. The posts are all general thinking about poker by a fish. I am a micro-stake player and therefore I can not speak for big plays or big strategies. I'd write on wednesday. Anyone interested in joining me in these pages?
  • 2 replies
    • Rainmy
      Rainmy
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      A year and a half ago

A year and a half ago I was faced with the 1st major battle of my life: divorce. Until then everything had been part of a normal life: as a teenager, I became one of the ten best chess players of my country and, a few years later, I graduated as a geologist. I had just finished my studies of specialization in business administration, found an interesting job and, above all, my 2 years old baby was growing fast, when the separation occurred. Having achieved all which could be assumed as a success, suddenly, everything fell apart, I had failed in what I considered the most important: my family...

When the old truck turned the corner, moving away from my house, just resting on its 4 wheels, taking to another city all the marital properties, my home and my little son Samuel, I did not know what to do. I felt like an outcast, without a country, homeless. I would never hold my baby lying on my chest in the hammock of my living room. I didn’t even know when I would see my son again, my relationship with my ex-wife was completely damaged and the time did not augur anything good.

The following months were of isolation, I quit my job and became a hermit. I shunned all the invitations that my friends sent. I had no energy or to lower the toilet ... That was the moment when I really caught the attention of a game that had seen several times in ESPN without understanding it at all. To do it, I immediately looked for its rules and definitions on the Internet. From the first time I played, it captivated me: It was not completely random as I thought, but had a high component of skill, study, calculation, psychology. The enthusiasm immediately surfaced, including that juvenile reverie that had been showed for chess was back, now for the cards. I bought some books, which I devoured at the moment they were on my hands, I looked for strategies surfing the blogosphere, I read (and still digesting) the tremendous Phil Galfond articles.

This year, I suffered another shock: the death of my father. Diabetes, terrible and insidious disease, took his life as if it were a rose, petal by petal. Those were months of being up against the ropes, unable to see any horizon: Everything looked deformed, seeing my dad falling rapidly into the abyss, where my family and me were first row spectators.

And in all these fateful moments, the poker has been present, bringing the enthusiasm back again and again with his ‘ludo’ stubbornness, despite how desolating the situation was. And, though I was not having great results, the passion for this game had been fully inoculated in me. But, not everything has been passion. Last year's May, I participated in a project where 100 candidates were selected and, with the help of a Spanish Pro, tried to raise 25$ into 1000$ playing single table Sits. The first $ 3.30 I played with (we deposited $ 3.30 to play and, if we busted, we replenished until reaching $ 25) were converted to $ 500 (up to $ 600 but October was terrible). Unfortunately, the project had to be cancelled, because very few people kept assisting the coachings. It was me who reached higher, well above my poor fellow. Considering this, the Spanish Pro chose the top 5 and he offered us a midstack strategy on cash game coaching. He was willing to bank us, and I appreciated the gesture, but I told him that I would not participate because this strategy does not attract me, or rather, I do not feel comfortable using it. On the other hand, I've been playing with some good results BigStack fr, my bank has been increasing very slowly, always from micro-stakes.

In recent months, the relationship with the mother of my son has improved. I’m going to see Samuel every month and, last week, between mumble he told me, through the phone, for the 1st time: “Dad, I love you !!”

It has always shocked me that most people see poker as a game/activity purely pecuniary, but they never talk of his playful, entertaining, educational, recreational face. A few months ago I read that many professionals in this gamet had learned how to play, when thhey were only children, at family gatherings on Sundays. Gambled with seeds, bottle caps, whatever they had at hand: The idea was to spend a pleasant evening, and the poker in this regard is EV +. In my case, although as I have outlined I have not produced spectacular gains, it has not been important. I have become a rich person, It has returned me the assertion I had lost long ago. If listening to Charlie Parker's solo on "lover man", to Beethoven's 9th symphony or watching Madame Butterfly's opera has changed so many people's life, I can say that poker is a great game, because it has given me the joy back and life projects have returned to germinate in my head.

I will not take you as fools and say that in this game I don’t aspire to anything. I also dream off a big prize or devour the cash tables, but if I fail I will not feel bad, I am happy to catch the overpot bluff in the river of the villain.

Greetings ...

[This was published in the secrets blof of the spanish community in 12/09/2010 http://secretos.pokerstrategy.com/Hace_un_a%C3%B1o_y_medio_%28por_Rainmy%29 Since then everything has gone well, my relationship with my ex-wife has improved a lot, I can see my son whenever I want. About poker lately I've been playing NL25 with enough bankroll to play NL50.]
    • Rainmy
      Rainmy
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Chicken Soup for a Badbeated Soul

The "new age" has come to poker. Everyone wants to read "something " that will mitigate the feelings and regrets on the table caused by the cruel variance. Everyone attempts download from the nearest proxy, or from a shelf, the "poker mindset" as if the only contact with their pages, we will atone for all those mixed feelings and abrasives that are stirred within us for several days until consume us.

But why we have the difficulty to accept the variance if it is inhirent to this game? Notice and internalize the following hand: AK vs A-2. This hand is very familiar to those who play Sits or MTT. We are short and go all in with AK and the mega chipleader isolating us go all in with A-2. Well ... Why should I tell that the community cards shows a 2 and the king does not appear anywhere. We grabbed the mouse strongly, got up to throw it to the monitor screen, but at the last moment we do not. But What’s 'sick' in this?

It is a 73.7% versus 26.3%, which means that in 4 cases by more than one occasion, we’ll take a fall. We lose one of four times therefore we can not be "sick"(shocked, yeah) with this badbeat. The really 'sick' is the behavior that we have taken and feelings that have made us captive.

Equally true for the downswings, mortify us with their presence but the upswings do not bother us, so much so that gives us ignore its existence. Friends, we play poker, not chess that when we lead and suddenly we lose, we look at post-mortem analysis looking for the point where we failed. In poker there is variance, and we must accept it, to live with it.

Every once in a while I do the following exercise I ever read it in a blog. I open Excel and generate a random number in a cell, zero or one, and drag the cell to where I wish:

and finally, after 10K rows or more, I summed up the cells with zero and make the same count with the cells with one. The results are very even, about 50% -50% as it should be:

After, I review superficially all the column values, and often am very surprised that in some sections one of the two values is repeated like 15 times, it is a streak as you will understand the numbers suffer it . In the example I show, I grabbed the first interesting section I saw, from 27 results, 19 were 'zero':

And whenever I ask myself the same questions: What else makes that more values of the other numer fall after to finally match the results? How does the other value “know” that should appear more? This is what it has been called as "law of large numbers." So are the numbers and act, and in the poker would not be different. It’s concerned to understand and accept it, there is no other route available, we have to internalize it to become excellent players, or at least in regular players.

Greetings.

[I published this article in the spanish community 12/23/2010 in the secrets blog http://secretos.pokerstrategy.com/Una_taza_caliente_para_un_alma_badbeateada_%28por_Rainmy%29