SH and FR ranges

• Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      As I see it, every poker hand in a cash game is an independent opportunity to maximise EV. So the only differences between, say, opening MP2 in a FR game and opening MP2 in a SH game are the subtle card removal effects (slightly more aces around) and the fact that players play a little differently (perhaps more so than can be justified on theoretical grounds).

Based on these, what is the reason for the difference between the hand ranges for the same position in FR and SH? There is a strong shift from small pairs in SH games to suited connectors in FR. Given that both are to a large extent speculative drawing hands and there are the same number of live hands in both cases, I am surprised at how big a difference there is.
  • 2 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      The thing is.. when u open MP2 in FR or MP2 in SH the range should be exactly the same, given there are the same opponents sitting behind you.

Ofc ppl will not be exactly the same. But that doesnt mean that you should be looser from MP2 in SH or looser from MP2 in FR. It depends.. what is the table dynamic.. what are the opponents behind u..

You are talking about a difference between these hand ranges.. are you talking about some charts? or are you talking about what ppl say or what youv seen?

Person who plays 15/12 style FR can be opening wider range from MP2 then SH player playing 21/17 can be opening from his "utg" (MP2).

Edit: Just saw u posted this into equilab section.. =) sry mate, i feel like a fish now.. I would honestly also like to hear some reasonings behind these charts..
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      I really want to know what the answer for the OP question.....