• Tomaloc
      Very first hand.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
      5 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.06, SB raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.14.
      I call because I think this is a reasonable hand in position...

Flop: ($0.4) 6, 5, J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.24, SB calls $0.24.
      This is like the best possible flop that I could ask for.

Turn: ($0.88) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60.
      Here my danger sense gets on that he may be slowplaying something... too nitty?

River: ($2.08) 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.94, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.
      Here there seems to be no more doubt, his line looks very strong so I think that I have to find a fold here.

Final Pot: $2.08.

I read his play as a typical set line or, at least, an overpair...
      Is there something that I actually beat?

If he checked the river, I was planning on checking behind.
      Could I bet a third time "for value" against unknown?
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Tomaloc,

Preflop: I'd actually raise it bigger here like $0,08 at least. And as we get complete/raised here then I might even more often consider folding. It could so easily be a trap with some higher overpair and which often times is even the case. His raise doesn't look that small either, rather stronger side. And there is not much we can hit. Even if we hit our J or A we will never know where we stand with the hand. And as you said it's the 1st hand. Just fold.

As played
      Flop: Guess I'd make a bit bigger like $0,28.
      Turn: Seems to be fine.
      River: And I guess not much you can do here, I'd fold it as well unless you really want to take an note on him with what he played this way. Although I guess it's some kind of overpair. And I guess I would Check behind on river as well.

Best regards.
    • Tomaloc
      If an A hit my plan was... if he bet the flop, raise for information/fold to reraise. I'd probably be folding later too if I just got called...
      But it seems better to just fold pre.

I did want to take a note on him but I didn't want to pay 47 BB for it... :f_frown:
      I ended up just writing some generic note that he probably likes to be tricky or something.