Using waiting time for hand read

• Quirinus42
      Quirinus42
      Bronze
      I'm wondering how many of you guys use waiting time to fool or read your opponents? (psychology)

Fooling opponents:

a) Almost wait out the timer with a very good hand, to make your opponent think you have a worse hand than you actually have. (becouse you needed extra time "to evaluate if it's worth playing" or you have a "hard decision")

b) You instantly play out a very hard decision on your side, making it seem so that you have more confidence or a better hand than you actually have.

c) Almost wait out the timer a lot of times, so your opponent thinks you have trouble making decisions - hence he thinks you're probably a worse player than he is. (unless he thinks you're playing lots of tables or have a bad connection)

d) Or you can just wait the same time to play all hands so your opponent dosen't have a read on you.

Reading opponents:

a) If he's waiting a lot to make a decision means he's having a hard time to decide - hence his cards aren't premium. (if he's doing it a lot of times, he probably is a better player - or is double-bluffing you :D )

b) He's insta-called or insta-raised you. This shows his confidence, and it's probably very likely that he has a good hand.

x - x
      Ofc, some players won't even notice or use this (meaning you can use it to your advantage), some might think you're doing it becouse of some other reasons (bad connection, lots of tables, etc.) and won't use it against you, while some (probably just a very very small amount of people) will understand this bluff/strategy (and use it against you).

Misc.:

Some opponents when betting/raising (NL) might enter the exact amount of your money (e.g. if you have 2345 money, they raise exactly 2345, maybe some 2400 if they're too lazy) - that probably means that they want to eliminate you, so it's likely that they have a good hand. Ofc, you can use this the other way around, to scare some opponents with weaker hands, but only if you think they're smart/good enough to understand the first part.

I admit I'm a beginner and probably not very good poker player, hence some of this might be wrong/not profitable, but I could really use some thoughts on this from better players.

EDIT:
      oops, this should be moved to Comunity >> General Discussion
  • 3 replies
    • erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      People who act rashly are often not good players. You can't conclude that someone is a weak player because he thinks too much about decisions. It is to your advantage to use all the time to make the proper hand analysis before deciding what to do. There are not many trivial decisions in poker (especially post flop). You'll notice the coaches taking their time and occasionally even timing out on a decision.

Having said that, I once accidentally insta-called when I meant to fold a rubbish hand, after which my (aggressive) opponent slowed right down, allowing me to pull off a bluff (though of course, he may have had nothing as well).
    • Quirinus42
      Quirinus42
      Bronze
      True. :)

But if someone often uses the timer, that means he's having a hard time making some decisions ----> not very confident or good player, imo.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Why not ?
      I use my timer often ...
      If I got a set on a trip board, I might need it
      If I got the nuts, they might think think I need it
      If I got nothing at all, they might think I got something moderately valuable forego their weak made hand.

However, I also instacall/instaraise in the same situations with a varying degree of frequency ... so people won't develop a read on me. And I know they don't.