[NL2-NL10] NL2 22 in position, flop set on dry flop

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      Now I'll post a hand where I don't fold for a change :f_p:
      How to get maximum value/can I ever get away from that hand?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $2.28
      BB:
      $2.02
      UTG2:
      $1.57
      MP1:
      $3.97
      MP2:
      $2.17
      MP3:
      $3.18
      CO:
      $3.66
      BU (Hero):
      $1.94

Preflop: Hero is BU with 2, 2.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.06, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.21) 2, 5, 7 (3 players)
      MP2 bets $0.10, CO folds, Hero calls $0.10.
      Can I ever play this differently (raise) on this board? I think he's folding his continuation bets and I'm likely taking away the opportunity for him to second barrel...
      How should I go about it if the board's 2-suited? Raise for protection/for him to put me on a draw/something or just call too and reevaluate on turn?

Turn: ($0.41) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.41, Hero calls $0.41.
      When he bets the turn this strong I put him on some overpair... doubt he has some really odd straight there (A4s?), and he can't buy free cards out of position.

River: ($1.23) 9 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 calls $0.54.
      I guess that he sensed danger since I look very strong calling his potsize bet.
      I don't see any backdoor flushes in his range so I make a not too enormous raise to try to get him to call... and it works.

Final Pot: $2.43.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, twos (2d 2s).
      MP2 shows a pair of kings (Kd Ks).

Hero wins with three of a kind, twos (2d 2s).
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tomaloc,

Can I ever play this differently (raise) on this board? I think he's folding his continuation bets and I'm likely taking away the opportunity for him to second barrel...

The board is way too dry, just Call and slowplay it. You should be still able to get his stack if you do properly. His Cbet is pretty weak an we might consider him having some weak hand. Although shouldn't be even wrong to just raise it here and try to go for maximum value.

How should I go about it if the board's 2-suited? Raise for protection/for him to put me on a draw/something or just call too and reevaluate on turn?

Yep, if the board is 2-suited and flushdraw possible and rather drawy then just raise it for value.

When he bets the turn this strong I put him on some overpair... doubt he has some really odd straight there (A4s?), and he can't buy free cards out of position.

Don't think that he has a lot of straight type of hands here. And therefore I might even consider raising here while he may even trap with some overpairs. But of course shouldn't be that wrong to Call and reevaluate it on river.

But as played I'd just shove the river for value. Doesn't seem to be like a very strong hand anyways, if he had some kind of strong hand then he would be more inclined to bet it bigger.

Best regards.