$0.80
      BU:
      $0.96
      SB:
      $0.30
      BB (Hero):
      $0.80

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, J.
      CO posts deadblind, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO checks, BU calls $0.02, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.09) 4, Q, 3 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.07, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.07, BU folds.

Turn: ($0.23) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, CO calls $0.18.

River: ($0.59) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10.

Final Pot: $0.79.
      Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, queens and fours(Q 4).
      Hero shows a pair of queens(Q J).

CO wins with two pairs, queens and fours(Q 4).

i know we re only supposed to play 2pair++ when you re on a freeplay but having top pair on the flop is just too irresistable...especially with J kicker

anyway how would've you played this hand?

i played this hand quite aggressively hoping that his fold equity would be high on such a flop...should've I abandoned my attempt to throw him out of the hand on the turn

and would you call his small raise on the river?
  • 4 replies
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      My intuition would be the same as yours. It seems almost psychic how the counterintuitive system rules would save your chips here.

But your hand is not really that great 4-way. You have two opponents who have entered the pot voluntarily, and one random hand. I calculate that even if they both have a rather loose 30% range (Sklansky), you have less than 50% equity on the flop, which makes betting less obviously correct.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Interesting hand (and condition!)

I often confused what to do in similar situation, especially at BB position. I usually raise preflop about 4-5 x BB with any two cards to representing big cards, but it depend on my read to the table and opponents. I think my result is quite success at my level (I am playing SH 1c/2c). Very often all my opp fold to my raise. If someone reraise, I fold. If someone call, I usually cbet the flop then resign except if I get a good turn.

my reason behind this move is: if no one raise preflop it mean they have weak card (maybe a draw cardd like small pocket pair or suited conector) so I make them paying to see the flop.

TBH, I do not sure if this is right or wrong move and I'll happy if someone clarified what is the best move in this situation.

Regards,
      PD
    • padretino
      padretino
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk
      TBH, I do not sure if this is right or wrong move and I'll happy if someone clarified what is the best move in this situation.

Regards,
      PD
      well, when i played this hand i though since i had the blocker Q i thought it was quite unlikely for villain to have one too (seems i was wrong! xD )

anyway...about you 4-5x BB oR...i think that kind of big raises dont give a lot of good pot odds

and about the cbet...i think its always necessary to study well your opponent, see if you have a lot of fold equity, and study the flop before you make a cbet...dont cbet like mad xD

if anyone disagrees pls speak!
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey padretino,

I don't like the idea of preflop raise here because with 3 opponents in the pot it's likely one will call you and with QJ and out of position postflop you will find yourself in quite some trouble.

As played, I like your flop & turn play. In freeplays you can play with TP and J+ kicker, though, you have to be careful.

On the river, I expect to have the best hand fairly often as villain didn't raise flop nor turn thus I just barrel for the third time with half potsized bet.

As played, you have to call his 0.10$ riverbet, it could mean anything and you still have the TPJK.

Best regards,
      burek2000