Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has J :heart: 6 :spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.02, fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.07, 3 players) T :club: T :spade: 2 :diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.07, 3 players) J :diamond:
      Hero bets $0.04, UTG+1 calls $0.04, BTN calls $0.04

River: ($0.19, 3 players) 9 :heart:
      Hero bets $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold

Hero shows Jh 6s (Two Pair, Jacks and Tens) (Pre 34%, Flop 22%, Turn 75%)
      UTG+1 mucks Qh 9d (Two Pair, Tens and Nines) (Pre 66%, Flop 78%, Turn 25%)
      Hero wins $0.38

The 9 on the river obviously completes some draws out there, but i had just read about not betting your weaker made hands on the river enough for value.

The weakness shown on the flop was just that. Neither player was TAG or aggressive, even on a small sample. Ofcourse it is always possible they could have a T.

Looking at this now i'm in two minds if i would make the bet on the river again, but i feel that i would call a bet, so id prefer to creat some fold equity or use this as a blocking bet
  • 2 replies
    • fryandspicy
      I like your line here. On the turn they can call with weak pocket pairs and ace highs. And better jacks. Obviously not many draws so they don't make up much of the calling range. The river 9 is not scary enough to check fold (not scary at all really) and i'd rather bet here than check call against a passive player. The passive player is likely to call you down with worse but would check behind anything but a very strong hand on the river so by leading in to him you get value from the weakest part of his range. You also aren't forced into a difficult call, and can easily fold to a river reraise.
    • veriz
      Hello joeldowey123,

You don't need fold equity on river. It's either you bet for value or you ain't betting for value. And while few draws like KQ completed and we will hardly see him Calling with a lot worse PPs, plus it's a freeplay I might just Check/Fold the river and skip the thin value. We don't have the best kicker.

But as you want to Check/Call it then rather bet yourself then Check/Call. Basically if you are going to Check then it's a Check/Fold unless it's really some very small bet.

Best regards.