[NL2-NL10] overpair overbet?

• netrogrant
      netrogrant
      Bronze
      So I'm very new to poker, and i've bin enjoying playing microstakes (NL2) on full tilt. I lost about $2 on a hand today and I wanted to run it by someone to see if I played it wrong or whither it was just one of those things.

I was in Big Blind position and got delt JJ, most players before me flopped and 2 called, naturally I raised (4xBB) one more player flopped and one called.

Flopped 2c7h9d

I bet 20 cents, he calls.

Turn 4d

I bet 20 cents, he calls.

River 10h

I bet 20 cents, he raises to $1.80, I call.

he revealed QQ and won pot

I called his $1.80 raise confident that even if he flopped top pair at the end I was still beating him. Did i play this hand wrong? I figure if he had top pair on the flop he would re-raise me so didn't think he had a pair then, then on the turn if he hit a pair i figured i was still beating him, tho he may have a gutshot, and if he had a 4 he would fold, if he was holding 44 then he would raise. By the river I was confident he was holding nothing and couldn't make sense of his betting pattern :\ and even if he flopped a last minute pair of 10's I was still beating him with my overpair, I saw his $1.80 raise as a probable bluff because his betting had been very passive before this point.
  • 4 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      People who limp call preflop rarely bluff. If you have no reads you should treat them as bluff catchers rather than bluffers in my experience. :f_p:

Preflop you should make it 4 big blinds + 1 extra big blind for each limper. In this case 6 big blinds.

On the flop you should bet 2/3 of the pot to extract value from worse hands like A9 or something. I don't know how big the pot was.

On the turn bet around 2/3 again. At this point you can still be confident of having the best hand

On the river bet around 1/2 the pot as you want it to be cheap for him to call with his worse hands. When he raises you can safely fold. The reasoning for this is that he wouldn't often call the flop and the turn with a hand like AT. Even if he did he probably wouldn't raise all in with just one pair on the river. When people play passively all the way and then suddenly 'wake up' on the river they usually either hit a draw or were slowplaying a strong hand. It's very rare a hand worse than JJ would raise on the river here. Especially such a large raise.
    • netrogrant
      netrogrant
      Bronze
      okay, thanks for the reply :) .

so moral of the story is if they've limped pre-flop they're not likely to bluff? also I should structure my betting more perhaps? following the rules you've posted rather than just play by ear?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello netrogrant,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: As I do understand correct then your raise is way too small. If you had 2 limpers and were OOP then rather raise it bigger. 4x BB + 1 BB per limper + 1 BB being OOP -> ~$0,14.
      Flop: Seems to be fine.
      Turn: Although your bet size on turn is way too small, should be bigger. Can't say the exact amount but about 2/3.
      River: And this rather should as well be bigger but although not that big as on turn, rather smaller to hope get called from worse hands. And it's a Bet/Fold, you are likely beat against his line here.

And by the way it should be possible to convert the full tilt hands. It's pretty hard to read such a style. :(

Best regards.
    • netrogrant
      netrogrant
      Bronze
      just found this old hand posted, back at the poker after an extended break and with a bit of effort I'm doing better this time! just re-read this and wanted to say thanks to everyone who tried to help on this, i've posted another hand in the NL hold'em Hand Evaluation board (all be it a stupidly played hand) and converted it properly this time! :P

thanks again