UTG ($105)
      UTG+1 ($12.65)
      UTG+2 ($52)
      MP1 ($38.70)
      MP2 ($66.75)
      CO ($93.75)
      BTN ($32.40)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: A:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, fold, MP1 raises to $1, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $3.50, fold, MP1 calls $2.50

FLOP ($7.75) 5:diamond: 7:club: A:spade:

Hero checks, MP1 bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

TURN ($12.75) 5:diamond: 7:club: A:spade: K:spade:

Hero checks, MP1 bets $4.50, Hero raises to $14 (AI), MP1 folds

Hero shows K:diamond: A:club:

Hero wins $20.70

Hello,
      Villain is unknown.
      Do you think I should raise on Flop?
      I didn't raise on Flop because I think villain try to bluff cheaply by dbet 1/3 pot.
      I raise on Turn because I want to protect my hand for draws.
      How do you play this hand?

Thanks.
  • 6 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey JHTAN,

Nice hand. I would play the same way.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • balinez
      balinez
      Bronze
      you no cbet on flop. why? villain is unknown, and our toppair need value, and you dont have stats for expect bet from him.
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by balinez
      you no cbet on flop. why? villain is unknown, and our toppair need value, and you dont have stats for expect bet from him.
      Hello balinez,
      I don't cbet Flop because most opponents will put on JJ,QQ and KK and they will think that check on Flop as preflop aggressor mean you are give up.
      Moreover, I don't think many worse hands will call if you bet.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by balinez
      Of course standard would be to c-bet for value, but if you check you give him a chance to bluff and if you check flop he will more likely pay you off on turn and river. Besides if we c-bet flop only hands that will call our c-bet are Ax hands and some high PPs and when we check flop we give him a chance to hit some broadway on the turn and pay us off with that.

Other than that, by checking flop we balance when we hold JJ-KK and check/call flop. But that's not so important on low stakes.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000

Other than that, by checking flop we balance when we hold JJ-KK and check/call flop. But that's not so important on low stakes.

Best regards,
      burek2000
      Hey burek,
      Usually, we delay cbet Turn with Ax if villain checks behind Flop and we check/call Turn again with JJ-KK.
      Do you think it is good to delay cbet with JJ-KK also for balancing?
      I think if we check again on Turn with JJ-KK. Villain will noticed that we don't have Ax and he will bets Turn and shove River as bluff.

thanks.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JHTAN

Hey burek,
      Usually, we delay cbet Turn with Ax if villain checks behind Flop and we check/call Turn again with JJ-KK.
      Do you think it is good to delay cbet with JJ-KK also for balancing?
      I think if we check again on Turn with JJ-KK. Villain will noticed that we don't have Ax and he will bets Turn and shove River as bluff.

thanks.
      Hey JHTAN,

On higher stakes you will usually c-bet flop with Ax and JJ-KK on Axx boards against regs, but as long as you play lower stakes you should worry less about being exploited and more about max EV. Up to NL50 100% villains won't notice what you just wrote as example and even in midstakes 90% players won't notice it.

Besides if you think he likes to bluff so much on turn and river you can just call down with JJ-KK, but that's just not the case on lower stakes.

Best regards,
      burek2000