QQ versus EP opener in MSS

• Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      Am I misunderstanding an aspect of the MSS strategy?

The situation is where you are facing an EP opener with QQ and 3-bet, but get 4-bet. Here, without specific evidence, I would put the opener on QQ+, which would make QQ an easy fold.

4-betting AK would be a bluff against a 3-betting range of QQ+. Is it assumed that this (or other hands) are in the opener's 4-betting range?
  • 2 replies
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      Hi,

of course it is hard to say, you can always argue on the boundary values and sure against some opponents the fold is correct
      but on average I think he will often enough have hands like JJ or AK on the lowstakes

Cheers,

Pascal
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      I think my point is really that the 4-bet has to be looser than {QQ+, AK} to be worth continuing with QQ. Yes, if the opener is 4-betting JJ, that might justify it, but that seems very loose indeed.

His position seems crucial. He knows you know he opened from early position, so he should assume your 3-betting range is very strong. If he opened from middle position, your 3-betting range could be way looser, so his 4-betting range could be too.

If you could get him to fold kings sometimes, pushing QQ might be a nice (semi)bluff! But this seems to be asking too much of the opener. =)