[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Trips A

• StaringAtGoats
      StaringAtGoats
      Bronze
      MP3 is 35/8 AF 1.6 and SB is 90/0 AF 1.5

Fop: I'd put MP3 on Ax (AJ+ unlikely though, as he limp / called PF), 33 and medium PPs 66-TT. SB (the 90/0 fish) has pretty much any 2.
      So the first question is wether to call (giving SB a chance to call, too), or 3B here? By 3betting I loose value from SB and PPs in MP3's range.

Turn: Is checking behind here ok (don't need to protect from FD), to possibly get villain to bet his weaker hands on the river? Or should I just value bet here?

River: As played, probably the worst card possible, as he won't be calling much with his PPs now. And is the bet size ok?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $5.30
      BU (Hero):
      $6.79
      SB:
      $3.64
      BB:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $16.16

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 8.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.22, SB calls $0.20, BB calls $0.17, MP3 calls $0.17.

Flop: ($0.88) A, A, 3 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.05, BB folds, MP3 raises to $1.03, Hero calls $1.03, SB folds.

Turn: ($2.99) 5 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.99) K (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.90, MP3 calls $1.90.

Final Pot: $6.79.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, aces(Ac 8s).
      MP3 shows three of a kind, aces(9h Ad).

MP3 wins with three of a kind, aces(9h Ad).
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello StaringAtGoats,

So the first question is wether to call (giving SB a chance to call, too), or 3B here? By 3betting I loose value from SB and PPs in MP3's range.

Doesn't make sense to 3bet here, you just isolating yourself against better hands and likely making fold worse. I'd at the best as well Call, although continue cautiously because there are still better Ax possible. And wouldn't even be surprised when he does limp with some AJ type of hands according to his stats.

Turn: Is checking behind here ok (don't need to protect from FD), to possibly get villain to bet his weaker hands on the river? Or should I just value bet here?

Nah, I guess I would rather Check for pot control. His line on flop was pretty strong and I don't even think that the would raise there with some smaller PPs this way.

River: As played, probably the worst card possible, as he won't be calling much with his PPs now. And is the bet size ok?

Don't really think that many worse hands will Call you anyways, I would rather do it like $1 pot at that's it.

Best regards.