Gaming time versus Sleeping time

• YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Here's my dilemma:

I've analyzed again what I want to do to boost my bankroll as fast as possible. I thought, i profited well with MTTs so I think I ought to just stick to them. but the problems are:
      • I live in the Philippines. Before Black Friday, i'm fine playing with 7AM Philippine time (0:00 GMT) to 2PM (6:00GMT). I was having a decent amount of traffic in the MTT SnGos I play and the scheduled MTTs have decent Guarantees.
      • After Black Friday, traffic went low on those times, and I can't get the volume anymore to profitably play the MTT SnGos, plus guarantees have significantly decreased. Sigh
      • I analyzed and I thought that the best times for me to play is 12midnight our time until 8am (17:00GMT to 0:00GMT) because those are when the traffic is very high, I could have a very good volume SnGos, and play juicy guaranteed tourneys including the daily $11 Big.
      • Losing in bad beats in SnGos is very tilting for me. I thought, downswings are much higher in Sit&Gos because winning them would only give you 3 to 4 buy-ins. On the other hand, i'm used getting beat on MTTs, because i know a win or ship is just around the corner worth 25 buy-ins or more.

So my real dilemma is, should I sacrifice my regular sleeping time for a while to potentially boost my bankroll playing on such a hazardous time frame for me?

I really think maintaining good health is very important. I've been going to the gym now to have a more balance lifestyle....

comments or advises please.

US players, please come back already, I NEED to get your moniez. hayz......
  • 30 replies
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      that would be ludacris. switch game or site :)
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      sleep during day imo. fucked up tho :D
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Dont fuck yourself over for poker unless you can make tons of money imo. Get sleep +EV for life.
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      sleep is crucial to your functioning lol, don't sacrifice it for poker. we are wired to go to bed when it's dark out (darkness causes a chemical to be released "telling us" we're tired) --> don't go against this natural cycle for a game
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      One of the wonders of being a professional poker player is that you are your own boss. You work when you want to.

That is all I have to say.
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Well, many ppl are having night-time jobs and are functioning quite well. They sleep during the morning, do what they do in the afternoon and work at night. Though you probably can't do this for a long period of time, because it can be frustrating. If you think it would be very +EV profit-wise, you certainly could give it a try imo.

Kind Regards,

Jkob.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      profit wise, i think playing at those gruesome times is +EV for me

during my last two midnight-to-dawn grinding sessions, i have profited $60 on one and $100 on the other.

average wage of an employee in a day here in the Philippines is only $8 to $10. That means i can actually profit more than 5 times the average employee here, not yet considering those more juicier days where i can ship a bigger field tourney.

earning $50 a day is already big for me. if i can consistently win that much in a day, i can earn more than what my father does. but of course, in the long run, i'm looking towards increasing my daily profits by moving up the limits.

Option 2:
      if i play on day times where traffic is low, my only other alternative is to play either SitnGos and cash games. both of which i haven't had much success with yet. and i don't know if i can win $50 a day in those unless i'm confident playing $11 SitnGos and probably atleast NL25 on cash games.

sigh. sleep time. full rest on weekends. back to grinding on Monday.......

will appreciate more advises. how about i move to Europe? LOL

good night everyone!!! (currently 11:33pm our time)
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      You should probably at least try to have some kind of shift schedule if you plan to do this. 3 days on, 4 days off if you get me.

If you are then worried that you arent making "enough" focus on studying in the days off - that will pay off tenfold.

Moving to europe isnt that viable imo without you making a lot more.

Another idea is to play like till 3, 4am your time. I play that here and although it isn't the greatest for my health if you make sure you get sleep and look after youself the best u can in other aspects you won't die :D

There's quite a lot on the internet about sleeping in day etc, and things you can do to you room etc so its more bearable etc.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Moving to europe would mean you'd have to win more than 10 times as much/day as you do now to be equally ahead of the avg. salary :D
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iamthesituation
      sleep is crucial to your functioning lol, don't sacrifice it for poker. we are wired to go to bed when it's dark out (darkness causes a chemical to be released "telling us" we're tired) --> don't go against this natural cycle for a game
      IMO:
      There is truth in the bolded sentence above. Here's a suggestion, you should adjust your body clock so that it will "tell" ur body that it's sleeping time during the day for example.

Things that would help are:
      1) During your sleeping time, try to make your room as dark as possible. Using 2 or 3 layered curtains helps. Avoid sunlight when you are about to sleep, as doing so will cause a chemical release in your body that "tells" your body that it's waking up time. Then you will really have a hard time to sleep.

2) If your waking time is at night, try to get as much light as possible. This tells your body to wake up. Buying extra strong light bulbs should do the trick.

summary:
      sleep = darkness = good
      sleep = light = bad
      awake = light = good
      awake = darkness = bad

Remember it's all about balance and body clocks. It's a good idea to get enough amount of sleep daily whether you're sleeping during the day or night.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      You should probably at least try to have some kind of shift schedule if you plan to do this. 3 days on, 4 days off if you get me.
      nice advise!

i'm thinking i'd probably have 4 days on, 3 days off instead.

Sunday - Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday - Friday - Saturday

-------------------------------

Originally posted by ihufa
      Moving to europe would mean you'd have to win more than 10 times as much/day as you do now to be equally ahead of the avg. salary :D
      i was joking, LOL. won't leave my country, i love it here. will look forward to making vacations in other countries in the future though, with my hard-and-fun-earned money from poker. :f_biggrin:

--------------------------------

Originally posted by kenthmp
      summary:
      sleep = darkness = good
      sleep = light = bad
      awake = light = good
      awake = darkness = bad

Remember it's all about balance and body clocks. It's a good idea to get enough amount of sleep daily whether you're sleeping during the day or night.
      nice advise! will apply it. thanks :f_biggrin:

--------------------------------

i hope this thread is also helping other people having similar problems. :)
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I would suggest pushing it back and starting at 21:00-22:00 GMT

Means an early wake up for you though.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Moving to europe isnt that viable imo without you making a lot more.

He could move to America... Most Europeans are up evening-late night playing anyways. Latin America is cheap and would mean a normal workday.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jkob
      Well, many ppl are having night-time jobs and are functioning quite well. They sleep during the morning, do what they do in the afternoon and work at night. Though you probably can't do this for a long period of time, because it can be frustrating. If you think it would be very +EV profit-wise, you certainly could give it a try imo.

Kind Regards,

Jkob.
      while this may be true, i worked nightshift for just over 1 year (finishing at 6am every day) and i can honestly say, while it was OK for the time, it really messed with my sleep even years later

i think staying up all night long term is very detrimental to your health and future sleeping patterns. this should be considered... not just the immediate pros/cons but the impact this could have on you down the line
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      I can't believe "poker" players write such things here....

Did you people never go out and stay up whole night partying or something similar? And please don't tell me you people never had sessions deep in the night?

I am too confused now, I think that true grinders/poker players should be able to play whole nights, sleeping time etc. can be managed like BRM. LOL at most posts! ?(
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Originally posted by Zhusy

Did you people never go out and stay up whole night partying or something similar? And please don't tell me you people never had sessions deep in the night?

I am too confused now, I think that true grinders/poker players should be able to play whole nights, sleeping time etc. can be managed like BRM. LOL at most posts! ?(
      Playing good poker is very demanding on the mind especially if you plan to play long hours at a challenging level. That is very different to partying and having fun. In order to play your A-game you need to be properly rested and for that I guess you need to have enough sleep.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Originally posted by Zhusy

Playing good poker is very demanding on the mind especially if you plan to play long hours at a challenging level. That is very different to partying and having fun. In order to play your A-game you need to be properly rested and for that I guess you need to have enough sleep.
      Absolutely true.
      But considering his question, why shouldn't he change his sleeping hours? I mean why did all people say "NO" to the part that he should play over nights? A true poker player shouldn't be too picky about the time, if the time is right lets earn some cash! right?

And yeah the party was a bad example but I mentioned it only because most people have answered so negatively about the overnight play. Overnight shifts aren't that bad as most here write about it
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      The darkness thing is very crucial.

If you manage to tell your body that he is sleeping at the right time, it'll work. Like if you went to europe your body would need to change sleeping habits equally. The only difference is that in your country you will sleep while the sun is on the sky and be awake while others sleep.

It will be demanding, I'm sure it will be, but I think you could make it if you really wanted.

However, I suggest going to bed at 6pm your time and getting up at 1-2am as someone else has suggested before. That's the most sane thing to do imo. Getting to sleep at 6pm ain't that hard especially if you've done a night session and DIDN'T go to sleep right away in the morning. First day you can go to sleep at 3-4 and slowly increase.

But imo this will only work if you do the poker-days after each other, and not like 1 day "on" 1 day off, etc.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      p.s. I've read something that a couple of ppl were locked up in an undergroundish place for some time without any clocks or other time measuring possibilities and they slowly changed to a 30-some hour day.
      They slept the same amount, but stayed up for a longer time and slept for a longer time in one go.

Might be just fake though. Anyone got info on this one?