Equilab Request: Preflop Equity Trainer

• datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Equilab is probably the best program I've used for getting used to equities in holdem.

The equity trainer feature is awesome... but its only the flop. What about preflop, or even the turn or river.

Preflop i want to be able to input a range of VPIP/PFR values.

Then, Equilab randomly selects a VPIP and PFR within that range of values and our villain either calls or raises (selected or random).

Then, we're looking at a randomly dealt hand (within a range if we'd like, but mostly random should be best).

We estimate our equity (as before) and provide answers with the same kind of read out.

Basically, I want to get really good at knowing when its appropriate to call in the BB, raise or 3-bet from any position against various opponents.. and this would be a really helpful way to do it.
  • 7 replies
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      thanks moderator for moving this thread to the appropriate place. i plan to continue lobbying for this change because I'm too much of a noob programer to make such a thing myself.

right now the closest i can do is randomly generate in excel, input the range, and quiz myself that way but its painstakingly boring and I honestly cant believe i do it at all.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      You could also use the equilator to do this, if you're willing to do some work. I agree it'd be a cool feature, but if you want to test yourself, do this:

Come up with a few VPIP/PFR values. Something like:

10/8 (nit)
      18/16 (TAG)
      35/30 (LAG)
      60/10 (Fish)

These are just numbers I made up on the spot, I wouldn't actually use them. Then, you can use this site:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

To roll an X-sided die, X being the amount of ranges you've come up with. Equilator will tell you the ranges if you use the percentage feature. Then you can use some random method of selecting a hand for yourself. I would use PokerStrategy's ICM trainer, as you can pick a hand range there. Every time you want a new hand, start a new problem. It'll randomly deal you a hand in whatever range you like. Then, estimate your equity in a percentage, then put that hand into the equilator, and calculate it.

If you're REALLY serious, keep notes about how you did. Good luck!

P.S: This seems a long and complex process, but when you get used to it, you can have several test questions a minute. The longest part is coming up with the ranges, and that shouldn't take too long.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Thanks for the method. With mine i get through about 5 or 6 questions a minute and it also randomly generates the action (like faced with a limper/raise/or in a steal position). I like it... but its slow.

• HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey,

This feature is already on our to-do list for the Equilab.

However now E.T.A. for this yet.

Cheers
      Hannes
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global

Still very interested in this.

I also may have a few good ideas about improving the current equity trainer. Its mostly disorganized crap atm, but maybe worth reading.

For instance, while its great to be able to define a preflop range its also very important to have a strong visual cue to identify which range we're up against. Maybe something resembling a HUD statistic or other cue we would typically see in game.

Also, actual equity, our holdings, and the board texture should be associated a little more strongly... perhaps even just by putting them close together. our guess should be paired with the true value, but its less important to pair this with board texture or holdings.

The color scheming on equity values is great, but stronger cues for close matches between guesses & actual values is a must imo. Perhaps something like appropriate but short (and not annoying) sounds or animations might be good as well.

Basically, making a bit more of a game out of it rather than a calculator.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Heres what my current PF training gimmick looks like.

• datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      :-)