Can we play without the river card please :P

• Destrux
      Destrux
      Bronze
      Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum, and one damn club too many...To get serious, im mostly interested in preflop play in this hand. I was tld that i should have 3bet with it, or just folded it. I obviously disagree, reasons being that i allready have a position on the original raiser, and if i 3bet, and the original raiser shoves, which, given he's position and apropriate ranges, he very well could, i have to give up a hand with which i really wanna see the flop. Anyways, here goes...
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $6.94
      MP1:
      $2.07
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3 (Hero):
      $6.46
      CO:
      $5.08
      BU:
      $5.22
      SB:
      $5.20
      BB:
      $3.26
      UTG1:
      $7.16

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7, 9.
      UTG1 raises to $0.20, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 4 folds, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 9, 9, K (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, UTG1 raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $6.26, UTG1 calls $4.26.

Turn: ($12.99) 6 (2 players)

River: ($12.99) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $12.99.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, nines(7 9).
      UTG1 shows a flush, ace high(A A).

UTG1 wins with a flush, ace high(A A).

PS : This is the first hand i converted, so i just clicked on play hand, and watched it all over again...Goddammit, it still hurts :P
  • 1 reply
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      The idea behind 3beting these hands are:

1) Getting better hands to fold (direct value from fold equity).
      2) Widden/Balance your 3bet range.

If villan is a nittey player, then it makes more sense to just call, because your implied odds will be higher than if villan was a LAGey player. Also a nits origional range and continue range are offten quite close together if you 3bet, so theres little sense in inflating the pot.

If however villan is laggey (ie has higher VPIP and PFR), it makes more sense 3betting if he either has a high "fold to 3bet" or calls alot of 3bets but then folds to c-bets frequently. Because a LAG's range has alot more weaker holdings than a nit does there is more value to be had in exploiting this either through forcing them to fold pre flop or buy forcing them to play weak hands OOP and using your posistional edge post flop.

It's quite important to understand why you play hands diffrently vs diffrent opponents.

Given you havn't produced stats for Villan it's difficult to say what you SHOULD of done. If he was unknown player i think folding pre-flop is best for a few reassons:

1) You arn't conffident of his range.
      2) You arn't confident of how high or low your implied odds actually are.
      3) You have no idea if you can use your posistional advantage as he might be a station.

These kind of hands you really want sufficient infomation to play profitabley.